Friday, February 13, 2015

JBF's At It Again!

So, there's this guy.  You may have heard of him.  He likes Braves cards.  He's one of those guys who actually knows what "Roll Tide" means. I guess he has a lot of "junk".  He is the founder of the Jay Barker Fan Club?

Yeah, I don't know.  I feel like we're good friends, but we've never met.  And really he's almost more myth than man to me.  Wes = E. N. I. G. M. A.  

I do know this about the guy: he frequently sends out packages and occasionally he'll send notice beforehand. Example:
 Yep, my digits are listed about and the parcel just so happens to feature the boys in blue!

Check it out, vintage!  I love the '78 set, but maybe I'm a bit biased because it's the only one I have completed before the '80s.  And that off-centered '69 Billy Williams?  Pure awesomeness.    

Here are a pair of cards from the "other" major card producer.  Notice the lack of logos?   I've said it once and I'll say it again, I think Panini is doing a better job at hiding the fact that they don't have a license.  But, that doesn't stop me from wishing that they did have one. Competition = better products.

 Sandy Martinez!  It's an awkward pose, but I absolutely love this card!  He and Kid K will always be tied together in mind, because Sandy was the Kerry's batterymate the day he K'd twenty Astros. That was one of my happiest days as a Cub fan.

Gracie!  I hear he is back in baseball again and that makes me happy.  Maybe I've mentioned this before, but Mark Grace was my Grandmother's favorite Cub.  "Blue eyes, blond hair, boyish grin." I guess he had it all. 

I enjoyed Upper Deck's checklists from back in the day, but I'm really enjoying the fact that the Hak-Ju Lee trade hasn't come back to bite the Cubs just yet.  So, so shiny!  You can see my hands taking a picture of the card!

 Gregg Jefferies?  Um, I guess so.  I'm not sure if Wes realizes this, but most older Cub fans actually loathe the Mets.  It has something to do with the Miracle Mets and Ron Santo's toupee catching on fire during a broadcast at Shea.  More so the latter for me, as I wasn't around when the Cubs choked away a 9.5 game lead in the middle of August of 1969. Bleck.
 Stadium Club! If Stadium Club is back again in 2015, then that will be the set that I collect. #crossingfingers

A Kevin Hart relic and a camo Brett Jackson.  JBF is always good for some cool stuff.

Speaking of cool stuff.  I don't have many cards that are A) Shiny, B) Autographed, and C) Contain a Relic.
 Helllllllooooo, Max Ramirez!  Max played all of eleven games for the Iowa Cubs in 2011, but yet here we have him in a Cubs jersey.  Photoshop, anyone?

We'll close the package with this slick looking DLee jersey card.  I love the reddish clouds in the background.  I wish the bat wasn't blocking park of Derrek's face, but otherwise this is one stellar card!

So, there you have it.  ANOTHER package from Wes.  The man is unrelentless.  I'm still working on a return package for him from 2014 and he sends me another generous helping of Cubs cards!  What else would one expect from the most generous blogger in our happy little community?  He now even has a Bip Award to prove it!

Thanks again, Wes!

2 comments:

  1. Spring is coming near...clear your path...prepare your war gear....try to avoid his wrath...spring 2015 the leprechaun is coming

    ReplyDelete