Friday, July 26, 2013

Sandberg Player Collection - Duplicates for Trade

I have finally managed to complete a checklist for my Ryne Sandberg player collection. It took some time, but that's what summers are for. As it stands right now, I have 677 different Sandbergs, which is about ten times as many in my Kosuke Fukudome collection.  In their totality, the cards span from 1981 to 2013.  A large majority of the cards have been placed in a binder in blue pages.  Yep, I have blue pages!  Take a look!
The rookies, relics, and autos are all in top loaders.  Regardless of their type of storage, all the cards are easily accessible and in order so that I can look through whenever the mood strikes.

I put so much time toward his collection during my youth flipping through binders and boxes at card shows to accumulate these cards.  In fact, at one point I had just over 500 different cards before Ebay was invented.  That was no easy task!

It feels really good to have the collection finally cataloged.  If you have any Sandberg cards that could add to my collection please drop me a line!  I'd love to have a shot to trade for them.  Here's a link to my "have" list on Google Docs to get you started!

What's great about Google Docs is now I can take my list with me where I go.  I just have to check my smart phone.  When I was younger I had a mental picture of everyone of my Sandberg cards that I owned so that I wouldn't pick up duplicates.  It's so much easier these days!

I stopped collecting in 1994, and didn't really get started again until 2009.  I purchased quite a few Sandberg lots from Ebay in '09 in an attempt to fill some of the HUGE holes in my collection.  As a result I ended up with more repeats in a couple lot purchases than what I accumulated during my early years.

Boy, do I have duplicates... triples... and even a dozen repeats of some cards!  Yikes.  Here's a look at my box of doubles.

Is there another Sandberg collector out there that I could help?  How about a Cub fan in general that may be interested?  Speak now or many of these Sandbergs will wind up on Listia and Ebay so that I can buy others to fit into my collection.


Thanks for stopping in today!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, where does one get blue pages?? Cool!

    Also, I'm curious about your sequencing of cards within this Ryno binder. Does it go by year? Brand? Does it get annoying to re-sequence when you get new additions? And do you put one card per pocket or do you get 18 cards into a page?

    Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought 100 blue pages at a card show in the early 1990's. They were more expensive than the normal pages back then, but probably comparable to what we would pay now.

    I only put 9 cards per pocket. I like to look at the backs, especially the ones that have pictures. Also, the blue pages are easier to see through on the front than they are on the back.

    My binder is pretty thick, and part of that is because there's 600 cards, but the other reason is because of the way they are sequenced. For example: I have six Studio cards cards on one page and they are sorted by year... obviously the page is not full. There are many pages that are not filled, but I like to have all of the player's brands separated out. It's cool to see how Fleer/Donruss/Topps/etc. changed their looks over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my Player Collections were as organized. Right now, the only sort of "sorting" that's gone on is by team (e.g. Steve Finley as a Padre, then as an Astro, then as a Padre), though if there are any parallels, I try to fit those on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I mean as a Padre, then Astro, then Oriole. Only had one stint as a Friar.

      Delete
  4. Hey man, I'm a huge Ryno collector and Cubs fan as well... I haven't updated my want list in awhile but I have a Sandberg dupe box of about 300... Maybe we can swap off our doubles boxes or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to swing a trade of duplicates for duplicates. Just give me an e-mail at mrcoach00 at yahoo dot com and we'll get thing started!

      Delete