Saturday, June 13, 2020

Folder of Fun: Page 6

The Folder of Fun, as I like to call it, has been in the works for about three years. That's about the time I stopped buying retail and hobby packs and began tracking down cards which fit a certain general description: FUN.  Here's a link to the first post in this series if you'd like to go back and catch up. 

Page 6 plays host to what is probably my favorite card within the entire folder. Take a glance at the full page and place yours bets.

1997 Upper Deck, #52 - Kenny Lofton
I've never seen anyone but world class track stars use a parachute to train before. Unique!

1991 Upper Deck Looney Tunes Hologram - Wile E. Coyote and Ken Griffey, Jr.
This was not an easy card to take a picture of and I'm bummed my phone shows up better than Wile E.'s attempt to trip up "The Kid" tracking a fly ball. Regardless, fun stuff!

This is just like the Gary Pettis card from a couple of days ago. Bizarre.

1994 Upper Deck SP, #106 - Randy Johnson
The Big Unit undoubtedly has hundreds of cards showing off his pitching form.
But, there's one card I know where he's a beacon of glee.

1976 Topps, #564 - Kurt Bevacqua Bubble Gum Blowing Champ
Bevacqua defeated Johnny Oats to earn the 1975 Joe Garagiola/Bazooka gum blowing championship.

2016 Topps Stadium Club, #129 - Adam Jones
My only question here is, "Is Adam Jones blowing on that pie?" We all know it's going in the face of the player giving the post game interview. But, did it come out of the oven?

1991 Topps, #659 - Oscar Azocar
Azocar never made a name for himself in baseball, but this is still a neat looking card. He's also a legend of cardboard.

1988 Donruss, #596 - Sammy Stewart
My sister gave me this card because she knew I would appreciate it. I think unibrows crack her up.

1996 Topps Stadium Club, #53
I've watched one game from the rooftops on Sheffield Avenue and it was a terrific experience. All I can remember about the game was the pitcher went to play left field for a batter or two and then returned to pitch, but that's enough to find an article about the game!

That's the end to a wonderful cornucopia of cardboard.

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. Guessing the Bevacqua is your favorite. I still need to pick up a copy of that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A whole lot of fun on that page! The Bevacqua was one of the cards that convinced me to start a frankenset, and I've been thankful for that decision ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Azocar link to my most recent post about him? :(

    Bevacqua is the classic of this page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've updated the post to include a link to your page.
      I wrote this one about 10 days before your post was published, so you'll have to excuse me for not thinking about it.

      Delete
    2. Posts 10 days in advance? You're nine days ahead of me!

      Delete
  4. Fun page. One of these days I'll figure out how to turn that Perez into an animated gif that constantly zooms in on itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure which one is your favorite... but I will say the Bevacqua is mine. That's one of the cards that kicked off my binder of interesting cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is saying the Cubs card too easy? Because that's my thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have so many of the same cards in our Fun binders! The 94 UD Johnson back is one of my favorites. Azocar is popular as well. Bullinger is not one I own but I do love that photo! What an amazing view of the field!

    ReplyDelete