Thursday, July 30, 2020

Folder of Fun: Page 27

The Folder of Fun, as I like to call it, has been in the works for about three years. That's about the time I stopped buying retail and hobby packs and began tracking down cards which fit a certain general description: FUN.  Here's a link to the first post in this series if you'd like to go back and catch up. 

Page 27 is our penultimate page (hat tip to Nachos Grande for teaching me the word) of the Folder of Fun. The last two pages focus on cards which I am simply attracted to for one reason or another. For the most part these pages feature iconic players or in some cases they are iconic pieces of cardboard in our hobby. 



2005 Topps Pristine, #128 - Buck O'Neil
The contributions Buck O'Neil made to the game of baseball cannot be quantified. I definitely needed to find a card of his to add to this folder.

2007 Upper Deck Masterpieces, #8 - Lou Gehrig
Lou Gehrig on the day he retired from baseball. What a sad moment.

1991 Upper Deck, #SP1 - Michael Jordan
This is arguably Jordan's most coveted baseball card.

2010 Topps National Chicle, #240 - Cy Young
Cy Young has an award named for him, which in itself is enough to qualify for inclusion into the Folder of Fun. Bonus points for the spider!  If the Cleveland Indians ever go through a re-branding I hope Cleveland Spiders is taken under consideration. 

2001 Topps "What Could Have Been" Insert, #WCB1 - Josh Gibson
Josh Gibson is my second favorite Negro League Player. You'll see my #1 at the end of this post.

Business Card for Sports Card Heaven
This is actually the backside of a business card for a sports card shop in Ft. Lauderdale, which shows the stars of Baseball's Sad Lexicon.

1998 Topps, #21 - Roberto Clemente
Clemente was such an amazing player and from everything I've read he was an even better human being. I love the flag of Puerto Rico in the background.

1990 Upper Deck "Baseball Heroes" Insert, #18 of 18 - Nolan Ryan
Seven no-hitters and 5,714 strikeouts over 27 seasons. Yep, Nolan Ryan was something else.

2016 Topps Gypsy Queen, #324 - Satchel Paige
Satchel Paige was such a character: Super talented, a total showman and he had plenty of moxie to spare.

Which card is your favorite from Page 27? If I had to choose one it probably be the Lou Gehrig card from Upper Deck's Masterpieces set. It's beautifully executed and documents such an important moment in baseball history.

Stay tuned for the last page of the ever growing Folder of Fun.

7 comments:

  1. My favorite is also the Lou Gehrig card for the reasons that you note, as well as the fact that my grandfather attended that game.

    Cleveland should be rebranded as the Spiders (or something else) just as much as Buck O'Neil should be in the HOF, which is to say that both are occurrences that needed to happen years ago rather than still being pending. O'Neil getting snubbed from getting chosen during the massive (and well-deserved) Negro Leagues supplementary election only to pass away shortly afterwards was particularly brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that Gehrig card is awesome.

    I'll miss the folder of fun. Loved these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourites on here are the Gehrig and the Nolan Ryan.

    I honestly hate the idea of Cleveland using the Spiders name again. Why do we want to bring back the name of the worst team in history?
    Admittedly, the Cleveland organization hasn't been that great for memorable names.. Broncos, Blues.. Naps..
    Should also remind, the Spiders have no connection to the current team..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’d have to vote for the Jordan. That card was so popular in the ‘90’s, and all of my friends wanted one but few had one. Finally added one to my collection, and it is in my special cards binder. I’ll have to post about it, because it has a lot in common with your Folder of Fun. I’m glad you’ve been posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The O'Neil and Gibson are both on my w/l. Someday, I'll complete both sets. That said, O'Neil is my favorite. He belongs in the HOF for his contributions alone. Mike nailed it regarding the snub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that Gehrig. I've featured it on my blog before. But I like that Clemente. I don't think I have that card yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I like the Ryan the best. There's a lot going on in it.

    ReplyDelete