Monday, July 20, 2020

Folder of Fun: Page 23

The Folder of Fun, as I like to call it, has been in the works for about three years. That's about the time I stopped buying retail and hobby packs and began tracking down cards which fit a certain general description: FUN.  Here's a link to the first post in this series if you'd like to go back and catch up. 

Page 23, which is chocked full of multi-exposure cards, is my favorite page in the Folder of Fun. Think about that for a second.  . . . Cards only gain admittance to the folder if they check the right boxes. Yep, I hold these in pretty high regard. 

1994 Fleer Ultra, #1 of 5 - Randy Johnson (Strikeout King)
I think you'll notice a theme that most of the players who were given the "multi-exposure treatment" are star players.
For the record, all five cards in this subset are multi-exposure cards, but I only have this card of the Big Unit.

1989 Upper Deck, #755 - Jim Abbott
1989 Upper Deck was so cutting edge. This card came from the high series and (in my opinion) there's a better one in the low series which you'll see in a minute.

1994 Topps Stadium Club, #218 - Kirt Manwaring
Kirt Manwaring is not a star, but if you read Dime Boxes you know Manwaring has been gifted with some fantastic cardboard over the years.  +1 for the Steve Buechele cameo.

1991 Upper Deck, #444 - Rickey Henderson
Doesn't the multi-exposure make Rickey look faster? I think it does.

1993 Upper Deck SP, #7 - Kirby Puckett
This is a great card summing up the action of a smooth play in the outfield.

1994 Topps, #300 - Ryne Sandberg
My guy, Ryno, turning two!

1994 Topps, #132 - Bret Barberie
Again, Bret Barberie never became a household name, but it doesn't get much better than him turning two here with Jeff Bagwell bearing down on him.

1993 Topps Stadium Club, #2 of 2 - Charlie Hough (Florida Marlins Firsts)
The knuckle ball!

1996 Upper Deck Collector's Choice, #180 - Hideo Nomo
It's not often you get to see the front AND back of a player's jersey on the same side of a card.

Once again, I had several more cards which fit the mold, but not a full page. 

Bonus content for you!

1989 Upper Deck, #145 - Nolan Ryan
I think this is my favorite card from the first Upper Deck release. And, yes, that included the Griffey rookie.

1990 Upper Deck, #555 - Wade Boggs
Wade Boggs' head was always so still throughout his entire swing.

1991 Upper Deck, #175 - Fernando Valenzuela
Fernando!

1992 Upper Deck, #728 - Eddie Murray
This one makes me think of the Record Breaker subset card Murray had in 1988 Topps. That one was not a multi-exposure card, but it did have a picture of him swinging from the left and right side of the plate.

1993 Upper Deck, #222 - Gary Sheffield
I wish there was another picture to add to this card. I suppose this more of a "dual-exposure" than a multi-exposure card.

1992 Upper Deck, #SP3 - Deion Sanders
Neon Deion doing Neon Deion things. 

A couple quick questions to wrap things up: Has there ever been a larger multi-exposure set to your knowledge? If one was made today would you have any interest in collecting it?  I think you know my answer.

Have a great evening and thanks for reading. 

7 comments:

  1. I don’t know of a multi-exposure set. I’m not a real set collector so I would probably buy a few packs to try it out and probably try to collect all of the Rays and Tigers from it but not really go after the set. I can’t really think of a time I’ve went after a complete set other than a few Topps ones in the early ‘00’s.
    Every time I see a Manwaring card i think why does nobody super collect him? He has all of the great play at the plate cards, he has the ‘98 Upper Deck card with snow in the background, and he’s kind of built a name in the blogging world right up there with Alex Cole and Bip Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all awesome but gotta love the Nomo and Fernando displaying the unique windups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a page-plus dedicated to multi-exposure cards, too. The above Abbott, Boggs, Henderson, Puckett, Sanders, and maybe the Valenzuela are all also represented there, as are two non-RJ Strikeout Kings (Rijo/Smoltz). I had the Barberie, Murray, Nomo, and Sandberg growing up, but they were among the many cards to get ruined over time when I was young. I have never previously seen either the Hough or the Manwaring, but both are brilliant uses of multiple photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this stuff and have a mini collection of sorts going as well. Even posted a bit about them here. https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2017/10/19/lights-camera-action/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Always thought the multi-exposure thing was exclusive to Upper Deck. Don't think I've ever seen the Fleer and Topps cards before. Even a few of the Upper Deck cards are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Manwaring is one of my faves. I have three copies:small pc; catcher binder; plays at the plate. I really do have a problem...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastically fun page. That Manwaring is stupendous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete