Sunday, July 22, 2012

Welcome to the hall, Ronnie!


Congrats to Ron Santo and his family on Ron's Baseball Hall-of-Fame induction today.  I'm too young to have ever seen Santo play, but I loved him in the radio booth. He was a great ambassador for the Cubs and JDRF.  It's too bad he's not here to enjoy his day in Cooperstown. 

Ron played on those great teams during the 1960's that had hall-of-famers Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, and Ferguson Jenkins.  Because of the radio ties and the connection that so many fans felt through them, including myself, Ron is my favorite Cub not named Ryne Sandberg.  Ron had a great sense of humor, could tell a good story, and seemed to genuinely be the biggest Cub fan of them all.  I loved him for that.

Let me leave you with my favorite quote from Ron when his number was retired by the Cubs:

"This flag hanging there down the left-field line means more to me than the Hall of Fame.  I'm so overwhelmed.  I can't tell you how much this means to me.  I don't care if I get into the Hall of Fame.  This is my Hall of Fame.  And I really mean it.  I can't explain it, but this is the ultimate."

(The card/art at the top of the page was given to me by dayf, a fellow blogger.  The backside of the card is pictured below.  Thanks, dayf!)


1 comment: