Monday, June 24, 2013

A Pack of 2013 Panini Baseball Champions

I picked up a pack of 2013 Panini Baseball Champions while at my LCS the other day.  I love opening new stuff, because I never know when I'll like something enough to chase the whole set.  Plus, in a worst case scenario the cards end up in trade packages down the road.  Never a bad thing!

As the wrapper states, there are eight cards in the pack.  I'll do my best track down where each of these fellows are as I reveal the cards.  Should be fun!



First guy in the pack: Tino Martinez, USA Baseball Olympic class of 1988, card #19.
Tino was drafted in the first round by the Mariners in '88 and had a pretty successful career with mostly the Evil Empire Yankees.


Next up, Nick Castellanos, 2009 18U National Team, card #82.
 Nick is currently the third baseman for the AAA affiliate of the Detroit Tigers, who drafted him in the first round of the 2010 draft.  Castellanos was also rated by Baseball Americaand MLB.com as the 21st ranked prospect heading into 2013.

Tim Melville, 2007 18U National Team, card #42.
Melville was drafted in the 4th round of the 2008 draft and is in AA for the Royals.

Sonny Gray, 2009 Collegiate National Team, card #108.
Oddly enough, I have another USA card of Sonny, a 2009 Upper Deck relic.  Weird.  Again, I didn't purchase but one pack from either product.  I guess I just have "good" luck pulling Gray's cards?
Gray was drafted in the 1st round of 2011 draft by the Athletics, and is currently pitching well for Oakland's AAA affiliate.

Warren Morris, 1996 Baseball Olympic Team of 1996, card #25.
 Morris played on the '96 team with the likes of Lance Berkman and R.A. Dickey.  He was later drafted by the Rangers the same year in the 5th round.  He was Pittsburgh's starting second sacker at the turn of the century and retired in 2003.

Mikie Mahtook, 2010 Collegiate National Team, card #67.
 Mahtook was drafted by Tampa Bay in the first round in the 2011 draft.  He's currently in AA trying to figure things out.

HOT PACK WARNING!

Addison Russell, 2011 18U National Team, card #117 and Pride Insert #17
 Russell was the 48th best prospect rated by Baseball America and MLB.com entering this season.  He was drafted 11th overall in the 2012 draft by Oakland and is currently playing in high A ball.

That was a fun pack break!  I like the style of the cards and I don't think Panini gets enough credit for its products, but I've already collected one set chocked full of players I don't yet know this year (Bowman).  Thus, these are all up for grabs.

Thanks for stopping by today!



No comments:

Post a Comment