Monday, February 17, 2014

My First 1/1. It's a beauty!

I was checking out Cardboard Connection the other day to learn about release dates for the 2014 line.  I'm still trying to decide what to chase this year and I still haven't come to a conclusion, but I can tell you it won't be Leaf's Legends of the Diamond.

If what I'm reading from the website is true, a box costs $235 and each box contains one pack of two cards.  Two cards for $235?  Wow.  One card in the pack is a graded vintage card and the other is described as a 1/1 art card.

Here's a look at a couple examples of what one might pull as a graded vintage cards:
 Yep, that's some pretty high-end material right there.  I'd love a shot at pulling an old school graded  card like a Mantle or a Cobb, but I'd never find the guts to drop down such a large amount a coin on a lottery ticket.

I was, however, comfortable spending $6.25 (including shipping) on my first 1/1 card.  It is one of the aforementioned art cards from the product and I couldn't be happier about the eBay purchase.  Why am I so happy?  Oh, let me count the ways:
1. I finally get the 1/1 monkey off my back.
2. It's of a Hall-of-Fame Cub.
3. I have a card from Leaf's Legends of the Diamond product and I didn't pay out the nose for it.
4. It's beautiful.

Everybody, this is Hack.  Hack, say hello to everybody!

 You can see the Leaf logo in the upper left-hand corner of the card.   "L. Wilson" is written in the bottom left, with the 1/1 and the artist's initials.  I had to look up Hack's page on baseballreference.com and I learned that Hack's given first name was Lewis.  That explains the "L. Wilson" on the front!
The back provides your regular run of the mill information about how special the card is.  It's nice, it serves a purpose, but the front is where it's at.  I do wish 2014 was listed someone on the back of card.

For those of you not familiar with Hack, you may know him has the previous NL record holder for home runs in a season before Sosa and McGwire had their fun in 1998.  Hack was the National League's answer to Babe Ruth for a few years and he still owns the single season record for RBIs in a season with 191 in 155 games.  He was a "colorful" figure to say the least and today's media would have feasted on his actions for length of his career.

I' suggest doing an eBay search and finding a 1/1 art card from this set for yourself.  I checked last night and there were 15 cards that were currently under five bucks. Happy bidding!







No comments:

Post a Comment