Do you remember your first card?
I mentioned it once before on this blog, many blog entries ago, but it was a Topps Glossy All-Star card of Ryne Sandberg on top of a 1988 cello rack pack.
Since then those glossy All-Star cards have always had a sweet spot in my collection. There's not much to the backs, but the fronts contain everything I like about baseball cards.
Let's take this 1984 Topps Glossy All-Star card of Andre Dawson for instance.
- Glossy = Shiny. And, I love me some shiny.
- White borders and a clean design with an All-American color scheme.
- How about that Expos hat? Pure awesomeness!
- The Hawk's smile.
- Dawson's knuckles are lined up properly like all good hitter do.
- The bleacher railing, chain link fence and tree in the background just screams spring training.