Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Joy of a Simple Insert Set.

Do you remember your first card? 

I do. 

I mentioned it once before on this blog, many blog entries ago, but it was a Topps Glossy All-Star card of Ryne Sandberg on top of a 1988 cello rack pack. 

Since then those glossy All-Star cards have always had a sweet spot in my collection. There's not much to the backs, but the fronts contain everything I like about baseball cards. 

Let's take this 1984 Topps Glossy All-Star card of Andre Dawson for instance. 

Here's a quick list of everything I love about this card:
  1. Glossy = Shiny. And, I love me some shiny.
  2. White borders and a clean design with an All-American color scheme.
  3. How about that Expos hat? Pure awesomeness!
  4. The Hawk's smile. 
  5. Dawson's knuckles are lined up properly like all good hitter do. 
  6. The bleacher railing, chain link fence and tree in the background just screams spring training. 
The Topps Glossy All-Stars take me back to my early collecting days. It was a simpler time in the hobby when Topps tried to bait you to buy a pack of cards with one awesome insert card on top of a rack pack.  Good times.

Thanks for stopping by today and Happy Opening Day!

3 comments:

  1. Great card! I think my favorite comment of yours is the knuckles. The coach in you comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could remember my first card(s), but unfortunately I don't.

    ReplyDelete