Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Spending That Christmas Cash

Actually, it was a $25 Ebay gift card from my parents, but I'm a sucker for alliteration. Christmas cash it is!

I've never really talked about white whales, but both of these cards would qualify for this collector.
 For starters I picked up my first printing plate of Dan Vogelbach, also known as The Vogelmonster. Some of Vogelbach's higher end cards have come down slightly in price and I think that is partly to due his new MLB team affiliation. I'm sorry he's no longer with the Cubs, but my wallet is happier for it.
My first Voglebach 1/1!

The first rainbow I ever chased was of Dillon Maples. He was drafted out of high school and could hit 95 on the radar gun with ease, plus he had a nasty curve. He's still in the Cubs system, but in five minor league seasons he's never been above A-ball, because controlling his pitches has been something he's never quite figured out.
 Matt Szczur has always been a favorite of mine. He's a hardworking baseball player who was shuttled back forth between AAA and MLB for two seasons before finally becoming a permanent fixture with the Cubs in 2016. He never questioned management and was always happy to do what was best for the team. He's a team first guy and well respected in my eyes. Plus he donated bone marrow to save a life and he lent his bat to Rizzo to help save the Cubs post season. 😀
Serial Numbered 17/25
 I'm not going to gush on an on about the third guy on the card, but I will add that I now have 121 different cards in my Dan Vogelbach collection.

I sometimes find it difficult to by high end cards with my own money, but having to spend money makes it a little easier.  Thank you Mom and Dad for the gift card!

7 comments:

  1. I love spending other people's money (i.e. gifts, not embezzlement or Ponzi stuff)! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are a couple awesome pickups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my 19 years of teaching, eBay gift cards have always been one of my favorite presents from my students. I've only received a handful during that time. But every single one of them were eventually spent on cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pickups. I have some to show off to with a $25 ebay gift card as well. Can't go wrong with an auto and plate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Elite triple autos are tough finds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love buying cards with gift money, although I tend to be a little more frivolous

    ReplyDelete