Tuesday, July 19, 2016

ZZ Pack Wars vs. Stadium Club, Rd. #2

Welcome back to Round #2 of Pack Wars pitting Zippy Zappy's repacks against Topps Stadium Club!

The ZZ repacks won the first battle 7 to 2.  Let's see how well they do his time around!

Match-up #1:
Ron Santo's last Topps card in a Cubs uniform against one of the most feared switch-hitters of the early 90's. I have a soft spot in my heart for Santo and vintage. Sorry, Ruben!

Updated Score:
ZZ Pack = 1
SC Pack = 0

Match-up #2:
A nice ivy shot of Burt Hooton versus a base paths photo of Tim Teufel. The Hooton is needed for my Cubs collection, the Teufel just needs to go away. Darn Mets.

Updated Score:
ZZ Pack = 2
SC Pack = 0

Match-up #3:
At first I thought that was Billy Williams when I saw the picture. Honestly, I've never heard of Gonzalo Marquez. I also didn't know Storm Davis pitched for the Royals. I only remember him as an Athletic and Oriole. Point to Stadium Club for the name recognition!

Updated Score:
ZZ Pack = 2
SC Pack = 1

That's the last of the cards from the first 1991 Stadium Club pack.  Let me grab another one!

Match-up #4:
What? This is a different card of Cardenal than what we saw in the first round, but the exact same Shane Mack card. A repeat in Pack Wars?  I don't think that has ever happened before. Booooo!
Cardenal secures an easy win for Zippy Zappy.

Updated Score:
ZZ Pack = 3
SC Pack = 1

Match-up #5:
Argh! Another Dave Johnson!  This pack is starting out exactly the same way as the first one. No mater. I need this blue chrome (#/250) parallel of Kyuji Fujikawa for my player collection of his. Sweet card... I love the blue chrome parallels.

Updated Score:
ZZ Pack = 4
SC Pack = 1

Match-up #6:

More bad bunting technique versus Lee Elia, about fifteen years before his famous rant as the Cubs manager.  By the way, the video is NOT safe for work.

Tirade or not, it's an easy point for Zippy Zappy.

Updated Score:
ZZ Pack = 5
SC Pack = 1

Match-up #7:
Hah! Another Hector Villanueva card against Starlin Castro, the current Yankee. I miss Starlin, but remembering Harry Caray trying to pronounce Hector's last name cures all. 

Updated Score:
ZZ Pack = 5
SC Pack = 2

Here's a Stadium Club ad insert . . . hopefully we'll see some new cards after this!

Match-up #8:
Woo-Hoo! New cards from Stadium Club! The longer Soler sits on the DL the more he loses potential future playing time to the likes of Almora, Contreras, Szczur, Coghlan, Heyward and Fowler. Unfortunately, I'm losing confidence in Soler. Benito Santiago was a beast behind the plate, and while I like his 1991 Topps card better, this one is still pretty nice. Another point for SC!

Updated Score:
ZZ Pack = 5
SC Pack = 3

Match-up #9:
Edwin Jackson is Theo Epstein's worst free agent signing during his Cubs tenure to date. Heck, he's still on this year's payroll! (In my opinion, the jury is still out on Jason Heyward.) Shawon Dunston makes a cameo appearance on Charlie O'Brien's card. Nice!


FINAL Score:
ZZ Pack = 5
SC Pack = 4

Stadium Club rallied at the end, but just fell short this time around.
Tomorrow we'll have Round #3 ready for you. See you back then!

2 comments:

  1. Oof, my pack just barely held onto the lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Your repacks always add something to my collection (and blog)!

      Delete