Sunday, April 22, 2012

Catching Up - Spring Break 2012 - Part II (New York Mets)

After Charlotte Laura and I flew to New York and were able to make it to Citi Field to watch Stephen Strasburg and the Washington Nationals take on Johan Santana and the New York Mets.

For the record, this is the second time I've seen Strasburg pitch, he wasn't really on his game, but threw more than hundred for the first time in his career and won the game 4-0.  I was more excited to see Johan pitch, as I feel indebted to him for helping me win fantasy baseball championships in the past; plus he has a really cool first name.

Citi Field was "okay".  Nothing spectacular caught my eye.  It seems fan friendly enough: nice variety of ballpark food and non-ballpark food, televisions all around the stadium so you don't miss a pitch while standing in line, over fifty different beer selections, a Mets Museum, a pedestrian walking bridge (Shea Bridge) out beyond right center field, and a "Fan Fest" area behind the scoreboard in center field.  Who am I kidding?  It has everything Wrigley doesn't and I'm jealous.

Wrigley doesn't have a ton of advertising though and if you like advertising, Citi Field is the place for you.  I believe it contained more advertising than a majority of minor league ballparks, and that's saying something.

Laura and I only stayed through the seventh inning stretch and then we headed out for warmer quarters.  Clouds covered the sky, the wind was blowing, and it was in the high 40s.  I was cold.  And if I was cold, then you know Laura was cold.  She was so great though and was willing to stay as long as I wanted.

 Overall, it was a good experience.  Another baseball stadium is checked off my list, and I was fortunate to see two really good pitchers in action.  I would put Citi Field behind Miller Park, the Great American Ballpark, and PNC Park in my estimations, but definitely ahead of a few others.  Either way, Citi Field is home to Mr. Met, and he is definitely one of my favorite mascots along with the Philly Phanatic and the Mariner Moose.


1 comment: