Sunday, November 9, 2014

Walking the Plank

I think just about every "walk the plank" pun already done around the blogosphere, so I kept my title for this post pretty simple.  Matthew, from Bob Walk the Plank, contacted me a couple of weeks ago and we made a quick trade.  He was was a little quicker on the draw than myself, as I wanted to wait to find more Pirates mojo at my local annual card show.  It was fun shopping for someone else, but a little frustrating at times as well.  When you live in P-town almost everything is red or blue...  Cardinals or Cubs.  Nope, the White Sox don't get much love in these parts.  I picked up what Pirate items I could find and I hope they're enough to keep Matthew from making me walk the plank.

Let's see what was sent my direction.
 I would have given my left arm for the Mark Prior above about ten years ago. Jersey with a stripe, nice autograph, and a shiny card that works the Cubs' colors in.  It's just beautiful!  The Sammy is nice, too, and the #21 in the bat sample is pretty classy.
I snapped all the horizontals together and it makes for a nice grouping.  DLee is one of my faves, Rondell White had a nice little career, and I can't argue with a second Sammy relic.  The Kerry Wood is my favorite out of these four, but for the life of me I can't read or figure out what the "R" stands for in the "TR" on the front of the card.  Any idea anyone?

 Lastly, we have a low numbered Kerry Wood Studio Portraits card made by Donruss.  Simple and tasteful for sure.  I love that the number of the card is SP-34. How cool is it someone at Donruss gave KW his jersey number as a his card number?  In actuality I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but in my own little make believe world I choose to think that before Topps cornered the market other companies paid attention to details.  No?    From what I've seen around the blogosphere Topps needs to get their act in order.

Matthew, you trade package packed a punch.  It's not often I see a relic come my way, let alone a half-dozen in the same yellow mailer!  You've made this Cub fan very happy.  Thank you very much! 



6 comments:

  1. Matt always sends terrific packages. I'm pretty sure the "TR" on the Kerry Wood stands for Topps Reserve. One of the many forgettable brands Topps released in the early 2000's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you fellas are getting the trade fires stoked between ya'll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the cards. We'll swap again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're worried about the return package to Matt remember that you can still give up your left arm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty nice package of cards! Matt may want a leg too, though I'm certain he be kind enough to provide you with a wooden replacment.

    ReplyDelete