Tuesday, January 2, 2018

ZZ vs. Cartes De Baseball, Part 2 of 3

If you didn't see yesterday's post, then you missed Zippy Zappy smackin' around the Cartes de Baseball re-pack. Kenny, of Torren' Up Cards, provided me with three wonderful re-packs and I'm a sucker for a Pack War. Today we're scheduled for the second of a three part Pack Wars series.

Here are your contestants:
 On the left, we have the Zippy Zappy re-packs, and on the right we see the Canadian Cartes de Baseball that I was given as part of the blogger Secret Santa gift exchange.

Today we'll see the second pack of the ZZ re-packs. Onward!

Round 1:
"Pitcher Face" versus "looking into the sun during picture day." What a match-up!
I really enjoy watching Carl Edwards pitch, especially when he's hitting his spots. FWIW, he's my favorite Cubs pitcher at the moment.
Zippy Zappy takes the early lead.

Score:
Zippy Zappy = 1
Cartes de Baseball = 0

Round 2:
2008 Topps is my favorite design from that decade and Matt Capps had some decent years as a closer.
But, this is a brand new Kerry Wood card to add to my player collection! Plus, it's a mini! Woo-Hoo!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 2
Cartes de Baseball = 0

Round 3:
Brett Anderson was a bust for the Cubs in 2016 and he was cut loose before the season ended. Let's take a look at the back of Seth Schwindenhammer's card, shall we?
"Set career home run record a Limestone Community High." Limestone is my high school's conference and I coach against them twice every year, sometimes three. Also, know who else went to Limestone back in the day? I'll give you a hint... he's going to be elected to the Hall of Fame later this month and hit a few round trippers back in his day.

A point for the local boy. I never expected a Schwindenhammer card to fall out of a repack.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 2
Cartes de Baseball = 1

Round 4:
Tough match-up here.
Ron Santo did not like the Mets, and as much as I enjoyed Ron Santo, it's hard not to like an entire baseball team. Let's have a look at the back of the Team Leaders card:
Dwight Gooden was a stud! Mookie Wilson, "Dean of the Mets," is on the front of the card. Hah, that makes me laugh. Dean of the Mets... nice stuff, Topps!
I needed the card of Jose Quintana for my trip to the Cubs Convention. Point to ZZ for filling a need!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 3
Cartes de Baseball = 1

Round 5:
Shane Rawley would have suffered pitching to the "History Makers." Rawley's BB/9 for his career was 3.5 and his K/9 was only 4.8. Yeah, Rizzo and Bryant, two very patient hitters, would have eaten him for lunch. 

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 4
Cartes de Baseball = 1

Round 6:
Sweet Lou! Ian Happy rookie!  Man, this one is tough. I love manager cards and this one is of a former Cubs manager at that. Ian Happ is talented, but if the Cubs are going to trade an offensive piece this winter I hope it is him.
Going with Happ on this one, because it's my first rookie card of him.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 5
Cartes de Baseball = 1

The Zippy Zappy pack is starting to run away with this Pack War.

Round 7:
Man, bad collation. Moooooooookie!  He will not be denied a second time. 
Les Cartes de Baseball shows some life!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 5
Cartes de Baseball = 2

Round 8:
Derrek Lee is very underrated in my book. Neal Heaton is sporting those awesome blue uniforms again. The Lee card is numbered out of 299. I miss Les Expos. I don't like being sad.
Derrek Lee for the win.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 6
Cartes de Baseball = 2

Round 9:
Wow, look at the colors in this match-up. Bright red and numbered to 249 versus a beautiful blue sky and some green grass. Felix Pie wins this one. His name reminds me of dessert.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 7
Cartes de Baseball = 2

Round 10:
Snap. Things are about to get real.  VOGELMONSTER versus a record breaker card? Wow! This one is worth the price of admission alone!
 
So, I guess George Bell belted 3 homers on Opening Day. Yeah, yeah.
The VOGELMONSTER went 3-for-3 with a homer while making his debut with the Tacoma Raniers. My head would have been all over the place after being traded, but Vogelbach just went out and mashed. Professional. Hitter.
If I could award more than one point per round I would. VOGELMONSTER!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 8
Cartes de Baseball = 2

Round 11:
Who is this Jeff Hamilton guy?  Does he think he has a chance against a rookie card of The VOGELMONSTER.
Next. Contestant. Please.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy = 9
Cartes de Baseball = 2

Round 12:
Chrome!
The look on Doug Slaten's face says, "Hey, if I retire now, then I won't have my ERA ballooned by facing The VOGELMONSTER." Smart decision, Mr. Slaten. Smart decision.

Final Score:
Zippy Zappy = 10
Cartes de Baseball = 2

Les Cartes de Baseball really never had an opportunity to get any momentum going in this one. Kerry Wood, Ian Happ, and trio of Dan Vogelbach cards will pretty much do that against the competition every time. Kenny brought the goods again.

Thanks for stopping by today! The conclusion to our Pack Wars will post tomorrow. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. Cool fact about Limestone! But not cool enough to put a dent in ZZ's dominance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my card of the year in a nail biter! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny... I had something like 4 Schwindenhammer cards come out of two repacks I bought in November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mercy/Slaughter rule was in effect here, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought I'd give you as much of a hand as possible with the Update cards since in 2017 pretty much all of your resources went to your Vogelmonster collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. Not much love for my Cubs collection in 2017... the year after they win the World Series. Sigh.
      Thank you for all the help!

      Delete
  6. I wish Topps would bring back the "Dean" concept again. I always liked seeing who had been with each team the longest.

    ReplyDelete