Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Group Break Mojo & A Plug


I signed up for Nacho Grande's most recent group break and small flat rate USPS box was a delivered earlier in the week. I haven't been purchasing much current product the past two years so I figured this was a good way to get my Cubs fix.  Plus, who knows when I nice Cubs hit will fall into my lap from one of the boxes.
The new cat trap is working.
Holiday was more than happy to fill the box once I emptied the cards from it.  I get the cards and she gets the box, what a deal for everyone!

Let's pull ourselves away from all of the cuteness and take a look at my favorite cards from each of the boxes.

Fist up we have Greg Maddux from Topps Museum.
 Topps Museum is a higher end product which I could never break on my own, so it was nice to snag a card from this product.

I have a nice little run of Opening Day sets and I've always liked the Superstar Celebrations insert series.
On the left is Luis Valbuena, who now plays for the Astros.  Starlin Castro is on the right and my boy, Anthony Rizzo, is the one being mobbed in the middle.   I love this card!

If I had the cash I would purchase a box of Diamond Kings. I didn't watch all of the videos Chris filmed, but I made sure to watch the live feed of this box.
The cards are beautiful and the artsy feel of them helps Panini hide the absent logos.  I was lucky enough to score Szczur's card, and he gets the call as he's one of my personal favorites. 

 Gypsy Queen?  Sure, why not.  I still don't know why Topps has Gypsy Queen when Allen & Ginter's is pretty much the same thing.  But, whatever.
The GQ boxed netted me a couple Ryne Sandberg cards for my collection.  Hey, I'm up to 765!

Bowman, Series 1, was also included in the break.  Kyle Schwarber gets the nod here, because I just don't have many cards of his yet.  All in due time I suppose. 
Oh, and don't look now, but Schwarber is part of that second wave of young Cubs talent.  And, he is the real deal.

Hey, freebies!  I didn't score a big hit, but Chris threw in some random Cubs goodness for me.  What a generous soul!

 Billy Williams from Panini Cooperstown:

A new Kerry Wood card, which raises the count to 393:

 Oh, and another new Rynse Sandberg card.  Score!  Up the tally to 766!

Hey, I guess I did get a couple of hits and both were minis:
 Rizzo wasn't a member of the Cubs in 2008.  So, obviously this is one of those rare "Back in Time" parallels from A&G.  Plus, I received a genuine Chris Reed autographed card.  Stellar!


And now, a time for a plug:

Nachos Grande is busting a case of Topps Archives and there are still some slots left for his next group break.  I think we're guaranteed 20 autos from the case, plus a chance at a Will Ferrell auto, which I'm personally pretty jazzed about.  I really like the way Chris' does his breaks and would highly recommend them. I've been scammed a couple of times through eBay group breaks, and I don't know if I'll go back, but there are no worries with Nachos Grande.  He does a nice job in the videos, he posts summaries afterwards, he usually gives away free cards, he ships promptly, and he's a trustworthy member of our blogosphere. The only thing he doesn't provide in his breaks are actual nachos.  But I suppose I can let that one slide.  :)

Chris, thanks for hosting another great break.  I can't wait for the Archives case in June!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the cards - and thanks for the plug! I'm still looking to sell those last few slots so I can order the case! I have thought about included nachos (or at least those little bags of doritos) in packages but I feared a chip explosion and greasy cards... I think I'll just keep the chips for myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After that second wave of Cubs prospects there's also a third and fourth one.

    ReplyDelete