Tuesday, January 5, 2016

My First PWE of 2016

We put our mail on hold while were on vacation last month, which is why this PWE didn't hit my mailbox until this past weekend. I'm not sure if it shouldn't go down as the last PWE of 2015, but I'm counting it as the first of 2016.

Jim, from the now on hiatus garvey cey russell lopes blog, put "some Cubbies at risk" and threw them in a PWE.  Let's take a look at the inventory!

 The 1978 Topps set is the oldest set in my collection. That fact and the buyback stamp have pretty much sealed the fate of this Woodie Fryman card: it will spend the rest of my life in my Cubs FrankenSet.  Woo-Hoo!

Present day Donruss looks really weird to me. That being said, I'm always happy to add a new Rizzo card to me collection.

In other news: I feel bad for Rizzo, because he has to find a new bromance now that Kris Bryant is engaged.

Here's a nice shiny die-cut of another Cubs #1 draft pick bust.  Onward and upward!
David Ross! He's my favorite current Cub and hoping I get to meet him at the Cubs Convention later this month. I wish Topps would have used a better picture of him in this year's Update set. I should probably be thankful Ross made the checklist at all, because often times back-up catchers who don't hit their weight have a difficult time getting an cardboard love.

Thanks for the quartet of cards, Jim!  They are the first additions to my collection this year!

2 comments:

  1. Poor Rizzo, as if getting owned by Arrieta wasn't enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are welcome. there are also very few david ross as a dodger cards for the same reason you mention. i long for the days when the dodgers had four catchers - yeager, oates, grote, and ferguson (although he played a lot of outfield, too) - in the 1979 topps set.

    ReplyDelete