Thursday, October 24, 2013

Baseball Card App

As if I needed something else to occupy my time...

Through my daily baseball readings I have discovered that a baseball card making App now exists for you smartphone.

The Rookies App seems like a pretty nice concept.  Just ask George Costanza:
You can customize the front and the backs of the cards AND then purchase them!  They come in packs of twenty and arrive in a wax pack!  Man, that takes me back a couple of decades.

I'm thinking this would be a great idea for my co-ed softball team. You can also select the option to receive twenty of the same card to use as business card.  Pure genius.

The baseball card possibilities are are endless!  Next June I should be able to find a pic of the Cubs #1 draft pick, create a professional looking card, have it printed, and then possibly get the player to sign the card when he plays for Kane County.  That's pretty cool.

Now, I just have to wait for it to become available on the Droid.  Bummer.

6 comments:

  1. that is awesome! thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this a couple weeks back and it seems pretty cool.

    But as someone who makes customs cards too, my question is how are they using brand name templates legally? Topps offers this service themselves so I doubt they would license it to somebody else. The templates don't look different enough to stop Topps and whoever owns the rights to the defunct brands from knocking on their door to sue.

    Fun idea but I'm not sure it lasts as a business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They recently took down a bunch of the "knock off" Topps designs and it infuriated many of the users of the app. I'm sure they were told to take them down or face legal action.

      Delete
    2. Haha, nice bait and switch. The publicity/press releases show all kinds of Topps templates and now...

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info. I've already created 6 different cards with app lol. I wonder how much a wax pack costs...

    ReplyDelete