Wednesday, January 30, 2019

HOF Binder, Page 3

Page 3 of my Hall of Fame Binder brings us the rest of the class of 1939, which included nine players overall. Cap Anson, Charles Comiskey, Buck Ewing, Old Hoss Badbourn and Al Spalding were all elected by the Veterans Committee.

Eddie Collins, Wee Willie Keeler and George Sisler were inducted along with Lou Gehrig, who hung them up earlier in the same year, by the Baseball Writers Association of America.
This would be the last class until 1942 to gain entry into the Baseball Hall of Fame, as the BBWAA decided they would adopt a three year election cycle. In other words, they wouldn't vote in 1940, 1941, 1943 or 1944.

 2012 Panini Cooperstown, #21 -- Charles Comiskey
I didn't take the opportunity to build any of Panini's Hall of Fame centered sets from 2012-2015. Ironically, I didn't start setting cards aside for this little project of mine until 2016. If Panini revives the Cooperstown brand in 2019 you know I'll be all over it.

2012 Panini Cooperstown, #11 -- Buck Ewing
 Variety. As I mentioned in my original post I'm looking for variety on each page. I'm currently on the lookout for a new Ewing or Comiskey to spice things up a bit!

2011 Topps - 1934 Goudey Reproduction Insert, #CMGR-24 -- Lou Gehrig
 Gehrig is one of favorite players of all-time. If I can ever find an original Goudey of Gehrig within reach of my budget you better believe I'll make that purchase.

1980 TCMA Baseball Immortals, #23 -- Willie Keeler
 According to his BaseballRefence.com page Wee Willie was only 5'4" and 140 pounds. Yes, folks, that's two inches shorter and twenty-five pounds lighter than Jose Altuve.

1980 TCMA Baseball Immortals, #24 -- Charles Radbourn
 Old Hoss Radbourn has a Twitter account. I followed it for awhile, but when things become too politically charged (funny or not) I tend to bail ship. I did enjoy when he mocked starters for not pitching long enough to qualify for a quality start. Radbourn, after, threw 73 complete games . . . in one season!

2010 Topps - Vintage Legends Insert, #VLC-30 -- George Sisler
 The colorization of this photo, which is probably from the 1920s, is quite excellent. I'm not sure how I feel about a player from Sisler's era being placed into an insert set in 2010 which depicts him on the 1973 Topps design. Just thinking about this gives me a headache.

2009 TriStar Obak, #93 -- Al Spalding
 Spalding was the pitcher during the 1870s. In 1874 he was credited with 52 wins, which is 21 more than the number of batters he struck out. It was a whole other game back then! Oh, he's also known for starting a sporting goods company and the thus the reason for his inclusion in the 2009 Obak set.

1976 Topps - TSN All-Time All-Stars Subset, #342 -- Rogers Hornsby
For whatever reason this Hornsby card sits better with me than the Sisler card. Maybe because it was actually published in 1976?  Hornsby could flat out rake and his stretch of seasons during the early to mid 1920s was just unreal. For my money, he's still the best second baseman of all-time.

Lots of classic names in this post. I hope you enjoyed it!

4 comments:

  1. I have a box full of the 2012 Cooperstown cards. Got the box for $10 so I couldn't pass it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really really like how you're doing this by year! Such a great idea, and relatively manageable with all the reprints out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy collecting hall of famers too... but don't remember hearing the name Charles Radbourn until now. Learn new things every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cooperstown was a great product, imo. Panini needs to bring this one back in an affordable version. The last one was too pricey for the few cards that came per box.

    ReplyDelete