Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Tom's Man Crush Increases Exponentially

So Carlos Zambrano was traded to the Miami Marlins to pitch for his buddy Ozzie Guillen.  The Cubs send $16 million or so with Big Z and receive back Chris Volstad, a 25 year-old, 6'8", former number #1 draft pick. 

I'm completely in favor of this deal for the Cubs.  I realize Zambrano will probably earn 12+ wins for the Marlins in 2012 and perhaps even help them reach the playoffs, but he's on the backside of his career, and he was completely out of control in Chicago.  Even if the Cubs would have kept him he would never be the pitcher we want him to be.

I'll take a chance on Miami's retreads and be very happy about it.  Why?  Well, because when the Cubs finally win the World Series I want to be happy and very much in love with the roster.  Zambrano would not allow me such pleasure.  He became a distraction, a nuisance, a head case, a bad teammate, a waste of talent... in short: a cancer.  The longer he stayed with the Cubs the less I liked him.

Bye, Z.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.


Meanwhile, I'll be dreaming of Mr. Volstad doing as picture above: congratulating his teammates on one of many hard fought wins.

P.S. - Theo, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. So, Theo got you another good pitcher, but when are they going to hop on board with Kerry Wood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will be announced before the Cubs Convention starts this weekend. Otherwise Theo and crew will have to answer many questions.

    ReplyDelete