Saturday, August 1, 2015

Sitting on 399 Almost Caused Me to Have a Breakdown

Well, that's not entirely true, but I wasn't sure how else to work in the name of Gavin's blog, Baseball Card Breakdown.  Recently I posted my 399th unique Kerry Wood card in my collection and Gavin, a loyal reader and Bro, commented:

Fast forward a couple of days and a PWE arrived in my mailbox. 

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!  Let's get to #400!

First, there were a couple of Ryno cards. Unfortunately, I already had both, but I know of someone who might like them.

Then there were a couple of entries into the FrankenSet, but both came up a little short.  ARam is pretty well represented and Tony Schrager isn't a name I'm familiar with.  Both cards are new to my collection and will make their way to my Cubs monster box. 

Now, on to the three Kerry Wood cards in the envelope.

I do, too!
 The first card was a nice attempt, but I've actually got a couple of these Skybox Metal cards.  I've always thought it was a little odd for the card to appear it was made out of metal and the word wood is in the background. Kind of ironic, no?

And here it is!  Card number 400!  The milestone . . . and, uh . . . its full of holes!

 It mentions the 20th National in Atlanta on the back and it's from the 1999 Skybox Metal Supernatural Fusion set.  I tried to position the card in the second photo so a little light could be seen behind the card.  A Kerry Wood close up done in pointillism?  Either way, it's pretty cool!

And to top it off, here we have card #401!  A paper framed Diamond King from the 2002 Donruss set.  I already had the regular base card, and I was pleased to learn there were framed parallels.  Learn something new everyday!  
 Gavin, you are a true Bro!  My LCS had an Upper Deck Marquis Grissom from the '90 set, but I'll have to scavenge a bit more to properly thank you for helping me reach the 400 milestone!  Thanks, man!

2 comments: