Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Cat Tree: Out with the Old, In with the New

 We've had a cat tree, which I constructed, in the our home office for a few years now. I built it from spare lumber, carpet remnants and some old carpet tubing which I picked up for free from a local big box store.
This cat tree served us well, but it needed a good tightening up after all the times the cats climbed to the top. My wife mentioned that she wanted to get back some of the floor space. At 2-feet by 3-feet it was taking up some serious space. Hmmmm... that got me thinking.

So, I broke down and bought six shelving brackets from the hardware store. I then cut, sanded and painted some old plywood. I topped the homemade shelves off with leftover carpet from the original carpet installation in the office.
Lastly, we took one of the posts from the old cat tree and brought it into the new design.

It didn't take long for our cats, Hugo (tan) and Holiday (gray), to get the idea.

We have regained all of our floor space and the cats still have a place to chill when Laura and I are at our computers.
It's much better to have the cats sleeping on the new shelves than at my desk where all blogging and card sorting takes place!

9 comments:

  1. Ingenious. I don't have cats, but I like your result here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my understanding that all you needed to keep cats preoccupied was to buy something big and expensive so that the cat could enjoy the box that whatever you bought for it came in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no. You are correct. When our Amazon order arrives and we bring it inside they will sit on the boxes... once they're open in they go! They couldn't care less what's inside the box, even if it's intended for them.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Although the old one was pretty darn cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! Can I place an order for twenty shelves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You should go to your local hardware store. Mine had pre-made shelves that were ready to install, but I'm too frugal for that, especially when I know I have spare boards and paint to use.

      Delete
  5. Our cat tree is the oldest piece of furniture I own. 10+ years and 4 different homes. Lol. Now I'm wondering how it has outlasted multiple couches and recliners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man... this is so cool! I'm more of a dog guy (I'm actually allergic to cats), but if I had cats... I'd definitely want something like this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing, cat tree is most important part of cat's life. thanks for giving useful cat tree.

    ReplyDelete