Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wampa: Battle of the Binder

"The Wampa presents a new challenge - Smaller, but more vicious. Horribly violent beasts target the strengths and weaknesses of their prey." - quoted from the Wampa letter

No doubt.  This Wampa has read me like a blog.  I alluded in the past to starting a Cubs FrankenSet, which I have yet to lay down any ground rules for.  And look what the Wampa throws at me right from the start.

Crazy.  Maybe this Wampa has mind reading abilities?  Or maybe it has been reading my blog?

Here's a snapshot of the first completed page in the FrankenSet binder.
 
 I absolutely love the variety on display here.  There's a relic, an oddball, some vintage, some 2014 product, a failed prospect, some serviceable big leaguers, a couple of all-stars, and two members of the Hall of Fame.

You know what's even better?  Check this out:
Yeah, numbers 19 through 27.  This is a legit FrankenSet!  We're piecing this one together bit by bit.  I'm so pumped!  I didn't think I would start this project until either fall or winter break, but now I may have to work a bit in the evenings!  So excited!
 I have some big time decisions to make.  Like, do I limit the number of cards per player?  What about from each set?  There's already two Upper Deck Masterpieces serving as numbers 19 and 22, but that's one of my favorite sets of all-time!  What to do, what to do...

The two Ryno cards from above will go into the Sandberg binder and will have to be replaced.  I'm not sure what an Artist's Proof is, but it's new to me! The Home Run Club card from Pinnacle is shiny.  Shiny cards are a particular weakness of mine.

Wham!  Another quartet of cards that will need to go their respective binders.  Kerry Wood, Kosuke Fukudome, Kyuji Fujikawa, and . . .
 a flippin' ROCK SHOUDLERS autograph!  Holy Smokes!  The Wampa surely does know my weaknesses!

Time for another ROCK SHOULDERS-ism: When you think you're seeing a falling star, it isn't a falling star at all. It's a ROCK SHOULDERS home run ball just circle the Earth in orbit.

Here's two more of my favorites.
 
Man, those Masterpieces cards are sweet looking, but not as sweet as this well-aged 1969 Topps Ernie Banks card!

Another question... how high should the FrankenSet go?  The slot next to Marco Mateo is open, so the Wampa binder must holds 180 cards.
 Perhaps I should just run with the 180?  Oh, the decisions to be made!

Round one of the Wampa battle definitely goes to the beast.  I'm going to have to regroup after this start!



4 comments:

  1. I think you have to go at least 450. That's 50 pages - half a box of Ultra Pro. When you think about all the sets, you can easily get to card #450 and have about 200 sets to pick from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but how many modern day sets go past 300 cards? Topps flagship does... and really, that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
      I don't want the last 20 pages to be dominated by Topps flagship. I love variety and I'm afraid that I won't have much past 250 or so.

      Delete
  2. That ROCK SHOULDERS is sick. And it looks like you've got the situation under control. I'll have Appo and his emergency squad return to headquarters immediately.

    ReplyDelete