Sunday, March 3, 2019

The First cards of March

I really wanted to title this post "The First Cards of Spring," but that would have been a flat out lie. We had another half-inch of snow this morning which drew all the plows and salt trucks out of hiding. Tonight I need to remember to open up the cabinet doors beneath the sinks so the pipes don't freeze. March. #SMH.
I've missed out on the Heritage train, and I don't plan on trying to catch up to it. Thankfully Julie has sent me some cards to keep me happy. She lives in the Michigan somewhere and probably has 20+ inches of the white stuff in her front yard . . . On second thought, I guess I don't have too much to complain about when it comes to the weather.

Let's take a gander at those Cubbies!
 An upgrade! I have this one in my Kieschnick binder, but it's in poor condition. Good start!

Nomah! I also have a Nomar Garciaparra mini collection of him in Cubs attire. This 2005 Upper Deck Origins card is right up my alley. It features a clean design and I'm a fan of the green border.

Billy Williams and Anthony Rizzo might be two of the three best left-handed hitters to play a majority of their career for the Cubs. I would throw Mark Grace into the conversation as well.

 I'm purchasing less and less current product and I'm finding myself missing out on beauties like this 2017 Diamond King Originals card of Ryne Sandberg.

Topps Museum sure is produced on some thick card stock. Wowzers!

2008 Donruss Sports Legends. Another nice swinging photo of Ryno and I like how the background received the sepia treatment. Also, did you notice the bat boy? It's not too often you'll see a bat boy on a card.

Best for last:
 I have never thought much of the Playoff brand until now. The card stock is heavy, the texture of this card makes it like you can actually feel the brush strokes. The art work is fabulous. Great card. I may have to track down some more of Playoff Portraits.

With this little care package, my player collection of Ryno is now up to 928 unique cards. Very nice.

Julie, thank you for the cards!  Spring will be here soon!

4 comments:

  1. Not soon enough. I've got 6-10 more inches of snow coming tonight into tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that Nomar played for the Cubs, he sure got around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. It's so weird seeing Nomar in a Cubs uniform. It's like seeing Sandberg in a Phillies uniform.

    B. 2003 Playoff Portraits is a beautiful product. I was out of the hobby when it was originally released, but have gotten my hands on a few singles over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew that Sandberg played for the Cubs. Mindblown.

    ReplyDelete