Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Pack Wars: ZZ vs. The RePack, Part IV

The field is set for the final round of this match-up. The dollar store repacks have taken a beating up to this point. I emptied the rest of the contents from the bag to face off against the last Zippy Zappy repack.
 I've exhausted the 2016 BBM wrappers and we've moved on to the girly repack. Well, isn't that something a bit ... um ... different?

I don't know about you, but the picture on the wrapper has me expecting some super mojo within the ZZ repack. All Cubs for my player collections? Maybe a SegaGen card or two? More Fukudome mojo? Let's see!

Round 1:
I actually remember Ted power, but Fukudome's sweet swing on a blue sparkly card just wiped my mind clear of Mr. Power.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 1

I like how this ZZ pack is starting!

Round 2:
I remember Andujar pitching for the Cardinals, but that was probably later in his career. This Fukudome is a Calbee card . . . I think most Calbee cards are slightly undersized. The "Star Card" is a a simple enough concept, but one I can definitely get behind.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 2

Round 3:
Mike Scott was a pretty solid pitcher back in the day. Maybe you didn't notice, but the dollar store repack is has offered up three Topps junk wax cards in a row. I think it has thrown in the towel.
This Fukudome card didn't photograph particularly well. It's all chromed up and ready to go, but the lighting at my desk wouldn't cooperate. My bad.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 3

Round 4:
 More junk wax. Surprise, surprise.
This might be my favorite Fukudome card yet. It kind of has a bit of a dufex feel to it. I'm loving it!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 4

Round 5:
Man, more Topps junk wax. Funny thing here: I'm playing OOTP's Perfect Team and Dan Petry is actually one of my reserve pitchers I use when my normal starting five aren't performing up to standards. That doesn't earn him any special privileges here though.
Wow, the shine on this card is gorgeous. I love the gold foil... this one reminds me a bit of Topps Gold Label. It feels very high end. I have a new favorite!  I'm fickle, what can I say?

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 5

Round 6:
Woo-Hoo! Something other than Topps junk wax.
I tinkered with the picture settings on this pair, which darkened the border of the Score card, but helped to make the Fukudome card "pop" a bit more.
Such a great variety of Fukudome cards here!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 6

Round 7:
Willie Randolph was one of the better second basemen of the 1980s, but I already collect cards from a second baseman from that era.
It looks like this ZZ repack is sensing the win and is starting to celebrate!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 7

Round 8:
Man, the back end of this dollar store repack has been an absolute dude.
That's okay, because the ZZ repack is picking up the slack. This is the second JPBPA art card from this Pack Wars series. Most excellent!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 8

Round 9:
Another Star Card of Fukudome. Mike Davis is all like, "Seriously? How am I supposed to compete with that?"

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 9


Round 10:
 Finally, something other than a card from 1997-1991. And what happens next? The ZZ repack drops a promotional Fukudome card on the pile. Boom!  Yep, that just happened!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0

Zippy Zappy = 10


Round 11:
Ooooh, a shiny Justin Upton from Bowman Platinum. Pretty!
But honestly, the shininess from the Cross Squall on this last Fukudome is just too much. It's like Topps' x-fractor pattern . . . but better! What a tremendous looking card in hand.

Final Score:
$ Store Repack = 0

Zippy Zappy = 11

The shutout is complete. Not only that, but the ZZ repack went 11-for-11 on delivering Fukudomes. Actually, let's take a deeper look at some of the numbers. The Zippy Zappy cards won all five battles by a grand score of 48 to 5. Three of those five wins were provided by 2019 Topps in the first round. The dollar store repack was shutout twice in four rounds and only earned two victories out of 39 matches. Ouch!

Here's the most impressive number: twenty-four new Kosuke Fukudome cards for my player collection and not one duplicate. That doesn't happen on accident, folks.

Zippy Zappy, thank you for taking the time to shop for cards for me while on your trip to Japan. Hopefully I can find something comparable to send back your way before too long.

It was a blast hosting another edition of Pack Wars on the blog. I hope everyone enjoyed!

6 comments:

  1. Thankful my Fukudome hot pack managed to pull out a win in spite of there being no real big "super mojo" card inside (well, compared to what my Zaps can do at the height of their power anyway).

    Glad my packs won this tournament. Now I have to prepare my next packs (whenever my Cubs/Bears reserves fill up again) for when you inevitably pack war my packs against other repacks made by other collectors (should any arise). That should be fun and tricky :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was expecting different cards from that pack. Repack wins 11-0.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andujar was a Cardinal before he was an A. His best years were with Houston. "One tough Dominican."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome cards. I enjoy seeing the Japanese issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zippy pack destroyed this repack. In fact the entire repack put together doesn't take down the worst Zippy pack card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow those Kosuke cards are amazing. If I get to go to Japan, I have to find some baseball card packs

    ReplyDelete