Saturday, February 2, 2019

Pack Wars: ZZ vs. The RePack, Part II

Alright, we're back with Round Three of Pack Wars! The dollar store repack had many, many cards in it. So we'll pick up with where we left off.
Another Zippy Zappy repack is more than up for the challenge.

The dollar store cards will be on the left and ZZ cards will be on the right.

Let's get to it!

Round 1:
Wow. It's like we're picking up right where we concluded from the last Pack Wars match-up. Weak junk wax of guys I don't remember versus Kosuke Fukudome super-mojo! I love the fact Fukudome is still playing and still has cards being produced of him.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 1

Round 2:
 I finished the 1978 Topps set a couple of years back. I'm partial to spring training shots, but it's hard to turn away a former Peoria Chief on his first Bowman card. Hoilman was the starting first baseman for the Chiefs in 2012.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 2

Round 3:
1997 Pinnacle sticks out in my head for a couple of reasons. One, all the gold foil at the bottom ... it's kind of an eyesore. Plus, it's so easy to see when it's all scratched up. Second, if I recall correctly, these cards stick together when stored in a box and then become damaged when pealing them apart. Boooo! Darin Erstad was a more than serviceable player, but I care not for '97 Pinnacle.
I remember being at a card show in the Chicago suburbs five or six years ago, Jorge Soler, was the first big name to reach the majors as part of Theo's rebuild. His cards were hot! This is my second copy of this card and both have come in the last year. Good things come to those who wait.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 3

Round 4:
"Junk wax" all-star card from '88 Topps versus a 2003 Japanese Topps release of Slammin' Sammy Sosa. I think the '88 all-star design is one of the best all-star designs Topps has ever come up with. But, the rarity of a Japanese Topps card, here in the US, versus a two cent card? Zippy Zappy is bringing good stuff!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 4

Round 5:
 Next we have AJ Burnett on the front of a 2008 Upper Deck Documentary card versus another 2003 Japanese Topps card of Kerry Wood. A few of notable differences from the usual 2003 Topps offering: 1) the border color is green, instead of the normal blue, 2) "Topps" is missing from the front, and 3) the backs are illegible for the likes of myself. This is unique card #544 in my Kerry Wood collection and the first one from Japan! Boom!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 5

Round 6:
I'm sure this Yovani Gallardo rookie card once fetched a pretty penny in the Milwaukee area, but... oh my goodness. As in, Sadaharu Oh! This is gorgeous card of the all-time home run king! No contest here! I'm so excited to add this card to my collection!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 6

Round 7:
Oh, quite a match-up here! Nate Schierholtz patrolled the outfield for a pair of 5th place Chicago Cubs teams in 2014 & 2015. Tsuyoshi Wada pitched out of the Cubs bullpen during the same time frame. Secondly, we have a Bowman rookie card versus a relic promo card . . . from Japan! That certainly tips the scales in favor of Wada-san, doesn't it?

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 7

Round 8:
 Jeff Juden was a #1 draft pick, who played eight years in MLB, but never really fulfilled the billing of being a high draft pick. Matt Szczur, well, he's a favorite of this blogger. It looks like he's chopping wood here, but in all actuality he's getting ready to flash his plus speed down to first. Good stuff.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 8

Round 9:
Over-produced flimsy '88 Donruss doesn't really stand much of a chance against chromium cards. Additionally, Richard Jones had a 0.900 OPS for the Peoria Chiefs back in 2011. I suppose that was enough to put him on Bowman's radar!

Final Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 9

There was lots of Bowman in the Zippy Zappy repack, which ZZ thinks is holding him back from a shutout.
Not this time. It helps when all four the cards featured players who played in P-town!

Overall, what a great selection of cards. My favorite would have normally been the 2018 BBM Fukudome release, but that Japanese Kerry Wood card is too cool! But, they both take a back seat to my first ever Sadaharu Oh card. I had secretly been wanting a card of Oh for the longest time. Most excellent!

We'll take a break from the Zippy Zappy Pack Wars tomorrow for a mail day, but they'll resume on Monday.

Again, thanks for all the terrific cardboard ZZ. And thank you to the readers for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's not even really a true relic. It's a picture of his jersey... for promotional purposes. I never knew there were promotional relics for mock-up and sales purposes until ZZ educated me. Very cool!

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking that even if you gifted these repacks 8 or 9 points, Zippy packs would still win 99 out of 100 times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd been able to give you a vintage card of Oh from his playing days, but I guess a promo oddball card isn't the worst in the world? Or at least I hope it isn't.

    That Kerry Wood had your name written on it the minute I saw it in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just having an Oh card not produced by a US corporation makes it one of the gems of my collection! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, that was close, but the ZZ pack edged out the win.

    That Kerry Wood card is particularly fantastic. I need to track down a copy of that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Kerry Wood is awesome! Silly dollar store repack didn't have a chance!

    ReplyDelete