Friday, February 1, 2019

Pack Wars: ZZ vs. The RePack, Part I

Round Two is set to begin! This time we're going with a Zippy Zappy repack versus a dollar store repack sent to me from another blogger.
Throughout this post the dollar store cards will be on the left and the cards from the Zippy Zappy repack will reside on the right.

In the famous words of Tony Romo, "Here we go!"

Round 1:
Nathan Eovaldi made a nice name for himself with the Boston Red Sox faithful during last post season. I am not a fan of GQ and doubt that I ever will. I fell like it is a redundant set with A&G and Heritage also doing their thing.
Pro Debut though! I'm a prospector at heart and I'm a huge Matt Szczur fan. This one goes straight into the player collection binder!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 1

Round 2:
 Ryno from a dollar store repack? Whhhhhaaaaaat?  I was cleaning out my Sandberg duplicate box last weekend and found about seven of these. They sure do pile up on a guy.
More Pro Debut of the Cubs most exciting player, Javy Baez! Oh, and check out those Boise Hawks gold tops! Wooo!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 1

Round 3:
1982 Topps? I'm going to build this set someday, but I have to finish my 1979 set build first.
This Kosuke Fukudome card is awesome. I window shop on Ebay for random cards for my player collections from time-to-time and I've never seen this one. It's a 2003 card offered up by the Japanese Baseball Players Association (JPBPA). I love the artistic feel and don't mind the missing logos one bit. FYI, I don't know how much 300 yen is worth, but I'm hoping ZZ didn't break the bank here.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 3

Round 4:
Remember when the A's had that string of young talent back in the 80s? Canseco, McGwire, Weiss and Steinbach... man, kind of reminds me of the Cubs right now. Anyway, an overproduced rookie cup card is no match for this Nagoya Dome issued Kosuke Fukudome! The back had a couple of scratch-offs on it. If you're interested in learning more, please check out Torren' Up Cards!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 4

I'm smelling a shutout. Just sayin'...

Round 5:
 Ken Williams was an okay outfielder . . . how was he as a general manager? I'll let some else who followed the White Sox during his tenure speak to that. I believe he built the 2005 World Champion Sox roster. No?
The Dragons Odyssey subset(?) is similar to the Upper Deck Documentary cards circa 2008. I can't read Japanese, but I'm going to assume Fukudome, who is pictured on the front, was the star of the game after hitting for the cycle or something spectacular. Pretty cool either way!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 5

Round 6:
1988 Topps of a guy I've never heard of. Ugh.
A shiny "Shining" card from BBM. It's a regular Fukudome hot pack! 🔥

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 6

Round 7:
I would also like to build the 1981 Topps set. I cannot take my eyes of those Seattle blues!
Wait, yes I can.  . . .  It's The VOGELMONSTER! Boom!

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 0
Zippy Zappy = 7

Round 8:
A card of Rick Sutcliffe before Red Beard had the red beard. This is a pretty cool card of pretty well known Cub.
Michael Brenly was drafted as a favor to his father, who was the Cubs color man at the time. No one in the Cubs front office would own up to that fact and I can't prove it, but it just sounds like something that probably happened.
One point awarded to the dollar store repack on the account of suspicion of nepotism.
Yep. That just happened. My Pack Wars, my rules.

Updated Score:
$ Store Repack = 1
Zippy Zappy = 7


Round 9:
The Upper Deck team checklists were downright amazing. But, Zippy Zappy strikes back with a 2018 Fukudome card to close out the contest. Lot's of gold foil and stars in the background on this card, which goes quite well with the Hanshin Tigers uniforms.

FINAL Score:
$ Store Repack = 1
Zippy Zappy = 8

Yikes, that wasn't really much of a contest! The Brenly card came up short, but would have won against any other card other than the Sandberg, Sutcliffe and Clemens. Bad luck draw I suppose!

Thanks again for the Pack Wars fodder, Zippy Zappy!

If I have time we'll go for a rematch tomorrow, as the dollar store repack has much more (in quantity) to offer and I still have three more ZZ repacks to go! Most excellent!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. The Repack should have called in the Mercy Rule earlier in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The non-Vogelmonster Bowmans continue to be a thorn at my side.

    As for the Dragons Odyssey card it's a documentary series like card set made by CBC (Chubu-Nippon Broadcasting Company) to commemorate some Dragons moments. So congrats, three Fukudome oddballs in one pack :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like the 1st Bowman Vogelmonster equates to an automatic win.

    ReplyDelete