Saturday, January 24, 2015

Thank You, Mr. Cub


Here we are in the middle of winter, waiting 'til next year, and baseball news has made it to the front of most major media platforms.  Sadly, it's for the passing of Ernie Banks, Mr. Cub. 

I never got to shake Ernie Banks' hand and meet the legend in person, but that's more of a reflection on me and how I clam up around baseball celebrities than it is of Ernie. I'm sure he would have been able to loosen me up a bit with a firm handshake and his warm smile.  But alas, I was more content to watch and take joy from how he interacted with others. I was within ear shot of Ernie on several different occasions and each time he was outgoing, warm, and he seemed to put an importance on making others smile.  Ernie seemed just as eager to place a small child on his lap for a photo opportunity as he was to shake the hand of a life-long Cub fan.

He was a terrific ambassador for baseball, one of the most revered baseball talents ever, and he was a tremendous human being.

There's not much more I can say which hasn't already been said, so I'll allow people of greater notoriety than myself to offer their thoughts on Mr. Cub.

Outgoing MLB Commissioner, Bud Selig:

President of the United States, Barack Obama:

Rest in peace, Ernie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment