Thursday, April 15, 2021

Looking Back on Ten Years

 Ten years ago today I started blogging. My sister and wife each had their own blog and they posted on events and happening from their lives, so that's the angle I took at the beginning. I wasn't as carboard-centric as I am now with my initial posts, but I had jumped back into collecting in 2009 with Tri-Star's Obak set and found I truly enjoyed reading sports card content from other collectors. It was only a matter of time before I would begin blogging about cards. 

I started out with a food post inspired by the Chicago Cubs Cookbook. That was followed by vacation summaries, house projects, a Warrior Dash, bobbleheads, baseball games, posts about Gus (my first cat) and then my 33rd post showed off baseball cards for the first time. The cards were actually part of my table top epoxy post

Here's the first baseball card I posted on my blog:

1992 Upper Deck, Turk Wendell, #780
This card is now featured prominently in my Folder of Fun. Kind of neat how things work out. 

Scrolling through my first year of blogging has been a lot of fun. I never really intended my rambling posts to turn into a journal of sorts, but that's exactly what I'm looking at. For instance, I forgot how excited I was when rumors were first leaked that Theo Epstein had been seen in Chicago. 

Earlier this year I mentioned how I'm changing the way I'm collect and I believe I also see a slow shift in how I'm blogging coming on. Given that my life is largely focused around all things baseball and outdoor activities, perhaps a subtle shift of content, back to the early days of the blog, will be welcomed with open arms by my current audience. We'll have to wait and see what develops I suppose. 

Many changes have taken place in the last decade, but there's been one constant in my collection. I was chasing cards of this young masher back then, and this one arrived last week: 

What's serendipitous about my most recent Vogelbach purchase is it's a card from Panini's Donruss Elite Extra Edition set from 2011. That's kind of appropriate I think!

Thanks for reading and following along!

19 comments:

  1. 1st....congrats on the big 10! 2nd....Whew, I am about to mail you several Vogy autos I picked up for you including a 2011, but it wasn't that one.I better get these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 10 years of blogging Tom. I always enjoy reading your words so whether you want to go into personal stuff or cards, it's all good with me. No pressure ofc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 10 to one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 10th! It’s been great to be able to follow a fellow Cubs collector.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on 10 years, my friend! That Wendell is an excellent First Card for a blog. Definitely a "Folder of Fun" cornerstone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Had no idea you've been collecting Vogelbach the entire time you've been running this blog. That's some serious dedication. Here's to another 10 great years of blogging and collecting him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10 years is quite the milestone! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice new (old) card in your Vogelmonster collection. And I'll read anything you post, so, please do and continue to do only and whatever makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 10 years is a long time to be doing anything. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Tom! Keep on truckin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations...here's to the next ten years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 10th anniversary, Tom! And for the record, I'm a big fan of non-card posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on 10 years Tom! Can't wait to see what topics inspire you over the next 10.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated happy blogiversary! Keep up the fun content!

    ReplyDelete