Sunday, April 25, 2021

PWEs of Guys I Collect

 I have a few binders crammed full of cards of my favorite Cubs, but there are a handful of guys who get special treatment. In my collection I have five players for which I have cataloged all their cards in a Google Sheet. When I was younger and only collected Ryne Sandberg cards I was able to memorize every card in my Ryno binder. I'd hit a card show with my family on a weekend and I would instantly know if I had a card in my collection or not.

These days I do so much window shopping on Ebay I can't remember if I actually have a specific card or if I just keep scrolling past it online. I know some people prefer Trading Card Database, and I do have all of my Vogelbach cards listed on the website, but I prefer my Google Sheets which allows me the freedom to make additional notes. 

For instance, this beauty of a Kerry Wood relic, from 2004 Fleer National Pastime set, came from Greg, the proprietor of The Collective Mind blog. 

Adding in a note of where each card came from helps to remind me of what a great community we have here.

Greg is one of 30+ bloggers who have contributed to my Kerry Wood collection. Great stuff!  Thanks, Greg!

A second PWE arrived this week and it was one of those types where a 9-pocket page is folded up and stuffed into a business envelope. I've had great success sending and receiving cards this way.

Here's the layout of how the cards would have looked if I could have gotten the plastic page to lay flat for a picture. 
This surprise mailing comes from Johnny's Trading Spot. John and I have swapped cards many times over, but not so recently. 
I'm not so sure how he came about these non-certified autographs, but I'm not one to turn away autographs of the VOGELMONSTER! For what it's worth, that's only my second copy of Vogelbach's 2011 BoChro Auto. Love it!

I also really dig blue parallels of Cubs players. Check out this 2013 Bowman Platinum Vogey!
Yeah, that's some good stuff there for sure. One might think the best card in this PWE was one of the autos or the blue parallel. One would be wrong. 

At first glance I thought I already had every card non-auto card in this PWE, but I always double check with my Google Sheet. 

I had the base card of this 2013 Bowman Top 100 prospect card, but not the die cut parallel!
Man, that's a surprise!  Thank goodness for Google Sheets, because it's pretty clear to me I don't know my collection like I did 30 years ago. 

I can't wait to place those autos in top loaders and page-up this die cut in my Vogelmasher binder! 

Thanks Greg and John for thinking of me and spending the postage to send cards my way. Your acts of cardboard generosity will not be soon forgotten!

Have a great day and thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so old I remember when those BoChro autos would cost a pretty penny. Speaking of pretty, I still like how sleek those 2013 Bowman 100 diecuts look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That's some nice stuff that came in the mail! This week I got just unsolicited furniture store catalogs. Boo. Well, you win. I'm a big proponent of the Google Sheets; especially as TCDB doesn't have everything listed (and in fact, they've removed two checklists I've added!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some cool cards. Glad you got 2 that you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last diecut is super cool! Looks sharp...literally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a time when I could remember the majority of what I had by sight alone, including partially built sets, but those days are long gone :(

    ReplyDelete