Thursday, July 23, 2020

Throwback Thursday - Card Show

Here's a picture my mom passed on to me a couple of weeks ago. I thought about filing it away in a photo album from my youth, but I think it'll hang out in one of my display cabinets in the man room for the time being.

Take a gander and soak it all in.
You may have noticed the 1989 Score rack packs on the table, or maybe the stacks of 1989 Donruss hobby boxes. The binder being flipped through shows 1989 Topps and there's a stack of cards, in the foreground, which show an '89 Topps checklist on top.

What I noticed was a beautiful family picture. Well, it would be nice if my sister were more visible (far left), but we're all there. With coats being present, I'm thinking this picture was taken during the spring of 1989, which would have been the tail end of my 5th grade year. To give you a little context I had opened my first pack of baseball cards at a friend's birthday party the previous fall. I was in the midst of becoming a true baseball fanatic and the Cubs were playoff bound!

For what it's worth, I have no idea who is photo-bombing the picture in the back-middle, underneath the exit sign.  Also, I am clueless as to who was holding the camera. Perhaps one of my grandparents went to a show with us?

Everyone in my family collected during the junk wax era and we would often head out on a Saturday or Sunday to a local card show. My mom is undoubtedly looking for cards of Mitch Williams, as "Wild Thing" was becoming all the rage during the summer of 1989. My sister collected cards of Andre Dawson and I was on the hunt for Ryne Sandberg. My dad was all in on Gregg Olson, who we share a surname with. It was pretty cool getting into the hobby at the same time another Olson was making a name for himself in MLB. For those who don't remember, Gregg Olson was drafted in the first round by the Orioles in 1988 and he made him MLB debut that same summer. He had a sterling '89 season and captured the AL Rookie of the Year award. 

Besides this being a candid photo of my family enjoying time together, I think my favorite part is my father, standing behind his family, with his warm and gentle smile.

Good picture. Great memories.
Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. That is definitely a good memory. I wasn't at that specific show, but I was probably at another one somewhere that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to picture my mom being at a card show, let alone collecting cards. There are no pictures of me at a card show as a kid because my mom was the picture-taker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool. Maybe someday I’ll get a picture of my family at a show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic family photo. You're whole family collected? It doesn't get much cooler than that. I'm the only person in my family who collects cards. Although I've given plenty of them to my siblings and parents as presents over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this! I don't think my mom ever came with me to a show -- though I certainly remember her driving me and my dad to quite a few.

    ReplyDelete