Sunday, July 19, 2020

New Feature: The Three Pocket Battle

Jay, from Card Hemorrhage, seemed to take a fancy Big League cards and we came to a quick and easy agreement on a trade.
 The plain white envelope from Jay actually had four forever stamps affixed to it. I'm sure you're thinking, "Four?!? What in the world?"

Yeah, you would be correct in being stunned, but I think as you scroll through this post you'll see he needed every bit of that postage to have these cards make it from the bay area to P-town.

One of my favorite things to write up are blogger-made re-packs. I keep a small stash of retail and hobby packs on hand so I can go post the contents Pack Wars style.

Allow me to introduce The Three Pocket Battle!

Round 1
Fergie is a great dude and in the Hall of Fame and Schwarber came back from a torn ACL to become a play-off hero in the same season. Zobrist is one of my favorite players of all-time and had the go ahead RBI in Game 7 of the 2016 World Series.
That was a tough match-up right off the bat!
Zobrist for the win here. Love that photo!

Updated Score:
Left =  0
Middle =  0
Right =   1

Round 2
I thought Home Run Johnson might be Judy Johnson, the Hall of Famer, but I don't think it is the same player. If it were, that would have got Left Pocket on the board. Quintana is in my doghouse right now after slicing his pitching hand open while doing dishes this summer. (I've done the same thing before, but he's still in the doghouse.) J-Hey may not have lived up to his contract offensively, but I'll give him the 'W' this round.  Do you think he could hit 0.300 in a 60 game season? I think so. We're going to see some strange things in a shortened season.

Updated Score:
Left =  0
Middle =  0
Right =   2

Round 3
Hendricks is one of my current favorite Cubs and Baez is El Mago, but I'll take the pitching leaders with TWO Cubs and a heterochromatic Max Scherzer.

Updated Score:
Left =  1
Middle =  0
Right =   2

Round 4
Topps really like to use the fielding position pose with Baez. Yawn.
I still have images of Carl Edwards running around the outfield at Wrigley with a 'W' flag flowing behind him. Good stuff.

Updated Score:
Left =  1
Middle =  0
Right =   3

Round 5
If Fergie was sporting a Cubs hat, then the shininess of Topps Archives Reserve would be an easy winner. I'll take Steve Stone, the former Cub & former Cub broadcaster, and the unique batting helmet display for the winner this round.

Updated Score:
Left =  2
Middle =  0
Right =   3

Round 6
Albert Almora needs to focus less on hitting home runs. Bryce Harper and Kris Bryant? That's an interesting card, but I don't have much 2020 Donruss. It doesn't hurt to play to your judge! KB for the win (sans Bryce).

Updated Score:
Left =  2
Middle =  0
Right =   4

Round 7
The Rizzo picture is awesome and that Dunston will slide right into his player collection binder. But, there's something about 1953 Topps which speaks to me. Nope, I don't care if it's a reprint. It's a winner in my book.

Updated Score:
Left =  2
Middle =  1
Right =   4

Round 8
Zobrist in the ivy is so cool and I've already expressed my love for the '53 set, but the '85 Woolworth Hack Wilson card is fantastic.

Updated Score:
Left =  2
Middle =  1
Right =   5

Round 9
I think this Kris Bryant is a photo variation, or may be it was the other one in Round 6. It doesn't really matter, because the right pocket is just embarrassing the field right now.

Updated Score:
Left =  2
Middle =  1
Right =   6

Round 10
Ha! It looks like the right pocket took a bow and made for the exits early. Turk Wendell brushing his teeth secures a second place finish for the left pocket.

FINAL Score:
Left =  3
Middle =  1
Right =   6

That was a fun battle. And just in case you weren't keeping track, that was 29 cards in one PWE. Ridiculous!
I hope you enjoyed it as well, because I certainly did. Thanks for the trade, Jay!

10 comments:

  1. It's been thirty-five years... I think it's time for me to finally go out and grab one of those 1985 Woolworth sets. The Banks and Wilson are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not quite 22-cards-in-a-PWE-with-one-forever-stamp-Dime-Box-Nick-style, but still an eyebrow-raiser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang! I max out at 15 and I thought that was pushing it for a PWE no matter how many stamps you put on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really cool early 70s documentary on Jenkins done by a Canadian station: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfeArcOP2Yw

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to see all that 2017 Topps Heritage, and the Fergie Archives Reserve is a great card. 29 cards in one PWE is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home Run Johnson was Grant Johnson, who was winding down his career around the time Judy was starting. Just one of many great players who would be much more famous if they hadn't been barred from the majors by hatred. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Run_Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get the that Negro League set. Forking over the $$ is keeping me from it right now. Love the Stone!

    ReplyDelete