Friday, July 10, 2020

Folder of Fun: Page 16

The Folder of Fun, as I like to call it, has been in the works for about three years. That's about the time I stopped buying retail and hobby packs and began tracking down cards which fit a certain general description: FUN.  Here's a link to the first post in this series if you'd like to go back and catch up. 

Page 16 shows off the 2020 Topps Opening Day Team Traditions and Celebrations insert set, but it won't be the last post before we get back to baseball players. I have a couple of more pages in the works. 

The bat chandelier is so impressive, but my favorite artsy piece at T-Mobile is the mural mentioned on the back of the card.

Lots of statues in the post, but this is the only one I haven't seen in person yet. Someday soon hopefully!

I feel like Mike Trout is this generation's version of Willie Mays, but I never got to see Mays play. How off am I on that comparison?

I somehow missed the cable car when I was in San Francisco five years ago. Bummer.

I believe the Crown Vision is the fifth largest video board in baseball. 

I've used the Musial statue as a landmark to meet up with people outside of the ballpark after a game.

The hand-turned scoreboard is off limits during Wrigley Field tours, which is a bummer. But if you go to the Iowa Cubs stadium they also have a mini hand-turned scoreboard in right field, which is open for those sitting in the bleachers to see how it operates.

When I finally get to Fenway I'll have to go get my picture taken next to Pesky's Pole.

What a great statue. Most statues are of the player batting, but Jackie was such a fierce baserunner. I think this is a perfect pose for the man who stole home 20 times during his abbreviated MLB career, including one in the World Series.

This is the type of stuff that keeps baseball fresh and interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of the Yankees, but even I can appreciate the creativity of the fans that led to the Yankees creating "The Judge's Chambers."

The next Folder of Fun post will focus on how some teams fill the time before the game and in between innings. It's probably one of the top things that makes a trip to a baseball game tolerable for my wife. 

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Those are fun cards. I like the ones like this that celebrate the ball park. There were cards, too, last year, I think for each venue if I'm not mistaken? Thanks for the fun cards on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all great. I even like the Yankees card with Sonia Sotomayor in the "Judge's Chambers"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this set, and the Baseball Bat Chandelier is probably my favorite of the lot. A fantastic work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve never seen the Judges Chamber card. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh. Another cable car card to track down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any of these in my collection. First of these posts in which we don't share a few funsies! That's a word, right?

    ReplyDelete