Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Nico in a PWE

Considering the current cardboard market of last year's large rookie class, which is still currently tied to 2019 performance, I'm happy to have this card find its way to me via PWE.

Nico Hoerner, because he is a former #1 pick of the Cubs, is not an affordable option for a modest collector like myself to seek out. 

I'd like to pick up his cards at my LCS, but the cheapest one will cost you a five spot. Yeah, I'm not going to do that for a prospect who, in my opinion, has a similar skill set to Mark Grudzielanek. Central Illinois sure does love its Cubs and Cardinals prospects. For what it's worth, card shows would have a slightly fairer price, but there hasn't been a card show in my area in multiple months now. 

Honestly, if the 2020 season had started like normal I think Hoerner would be hitting 0.270 with a 0.700 OPS right now and I could pick up all his cards for a fraction of what they're going for now. 

2020. Sigh. 
A big thanks goes out to Zippy Zappy for spending another stamp on me to send me this Utz rookie card of Nico. The Utz (potato chips) brand is foreign to us mid-westerners, so I could probably flip this at my LCS for an Anthony Davis auto. 😂

6 comments:

  1. This is the first I've seen of this year's Utz. I like them! Good pickup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure he'll be much more than an average shortstop in the grand scheme of things, but I'm a big Nico fan. Looking forward to seeing him play again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see Grudzie is still remembered by collectors. I thought he was going to win at least one or two batting titles by the time he wrapped up his career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see a design on these that differs from Flagship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh nice. Nico's a Stanford guy and I'm kind of amazed at how much his cards cost. The Utz hasn't bee particularly cheap either so that's a generous PWE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what you're saying is that the market is horny for Hoerner.

    K, I'll see myself out, but before I go just know that I'm glad this got to you safely. And that now that I've sent you two PWEs back to back I'll probably come across another cool card you'd like that I need to spend more money to send your way.

    ReplyDelete