My wife and I picked up the new cabinets from Ikea in the Chicago suburbs on July 1st. I erroneously thought I could assemble and install the cabinets within one week.
Boy, was I wrong. I didn't plan on painting the entire room or replacing the carpet when I made the premature prediction.
Those upgrades ultimately stretched the timeline out about ten more days than I planned. I'm okay with that though.
We moved in during the summer of 2008 and the man room has pretty much been the same the past decade, save a few modest updates along the way, like a homemade TV stand, coffee table or a bat rack.
I figured if I was going to do a full tear down, then I better build it back up the right way.
With that in mind I pulled out some graph paper and made a scale model of the room. For reference, each square is four inches by inches, with the before on the left and the after on the right.
Once I had a game plan the fun started.
I had three cantilevered shelves in the room and one of them had affixed itself to the wall. When I finally pried it from the wall, well, some of the wall came with it.
So, here's where the man room stood at this point.
Next step was to pull up the baseboard, the carpet, and remove the tack strips that bordered the entire room.
Paint. I'm not a fan of painting. I hate cutting in, but I'm good at it because I'm probably a little too meticulous.
I decided to go with carpet squares over traditional carpet.
I laid about two thirds of the tiles in one afternoon, but boy were my knees sore.
Once the carpet tiles were in I was able to install the new baseboard and connect the cabinets and shelves to the wall.
That brings us up to this past Monday.
Finally, the fun part! I spent yesterday and today, when time allowed, moving everything back into the man room.
Below is the view from the door to the hallway.
Here's a view of the doorway.
As we keep moving around the room we can see a couple of my favorite wall hangings, my homemade coffee (baseball card) table and my little window.
The furniture will be the last change, as it doesn't really go with the room. All in good time... or maybe not at all!
Below is another shot of the cabinets and book cases.
So, that'll put the wraps on my big summer project. I'm very happy with how things turned out and I can't wait to start sorting some cards tomorrow and maybe watch a movie.
Thanks for taking a tour with me!