Saturday, June 25, 2016

A Sweet PWE to Start the Weekend

Everybody's favorite dime box aficionado, Nick, sent be another high quality PWE yesterday. If you're ever looking to make my day with cardboard, then just follow this template:

1. First add in current Cubs.

 Over the last couple of years I've adopted a philosophy of trading for current product rather than purchasing. Receiving cards of Edwards, Rondon, Soler, Lester and Bryant are always guaranteed to make me smile. Don't forget the cards of guys like Hendricks, Montero, Ross, Fowler and Coghlan. I love them all . . . all the way down to the third string catcher.

2. Add a touch of vintage or vintage-esque cards. (The Lester fits more in category number one, than here, but that's not the way I planned it when snapping the photos.)
Billy Williams. Ernie Banks. Ron Santo. Fergie Jenkins. Those are the big four, other big names are Randy Hundley, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger, Hack Wilson, 3-finger Brown or Gabby Hartnett. I'm not picky, any Cub will do . . . actual vintage or more modern day productions like the 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Billy Williams card above.

3. Include a card for one of my player collections.
I obviously like Kerry Wood, but I also collect Ryno, the VOGELMONSTER, Kosuke Fukudome, and Brooks Kieschnick.
See the trivia question on the back of the SI for Kids card?  Argh. Talk about beating a dead horse. Hint: Try not to remind me of 1908 when sending a package. (As a fellow Cub fan I know Nick meant no offense.)

4. Throw in something to help with one of my set builds.

I'm a set builder at heart, at least that's way I came into this hobby back in 1988. Now I'm chasing things a little bit more interesting than junk wax.  Exhibit A: The Conlon Collection!

Thanks for the sweet package, Nick! 
And thanks to you, the reader, for stopping by.  Enjoy the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Darn it, none of my packages have ever followed this formula. I don't know how Nick managed to construct such perfect packages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick just got me good too - he has turned PWEs into an art form!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do try to put together a mix of current/older guys whenever I'm rounding up cards for a PWE, glad you enjoyed everything!

    ReplyDelete