Thursday, May 28, 2015

Pack War - Zippy Zappy Style!

It's been quite some time since I last hosted a pack war on my humble little blog, but Zippy Zappy sent me a boat load of cards and I've been sitting on some unopened packs for a while.

So, let's do this!

I'll try to keep the commentary short, and I'm going to keep score off to the side.  Feel free to play along and see if you finish with the same final score that I do.  Sounds fun, no?
The Zippy Zappy pack is a Star Wars jumbo pack, but I have a hunch I won't find any cards of Luke or Vader. I have two packs of 1994 O-Pee-Chee which I think should match up well in quantity. 

Here we go!

A different Dave Roberts than the one I'm familiar with versus Pudge.

Welly!  He's a former Peoria Chief, but he was just traded to Seattle. Bryan Harvey was a member of my fantasy league team back in '91. He was a stud that year.

Donnie, Cub fans hardly new ya!  Ed Sprague has two World Series rings and an All-Star appearance.

 Gutierrez is a former Cub and Dave Rader's glove appears to be HUGE!

I was a big fan of Geo when he played on the north side of Chicago.  J.R. Phillips given name is Charles Gene Phillips.  How do you get J.R. out of that?

Wrinkly vintage.  'Nough said. 

C.J. Ewards just recently decided to go by Carl. This just in: Eddie Murray was a damn good ball player, but looks weird in an Indians uniform.

A chrome Justin Steele.  Man, I love my Cubs pitching prospects.  Sammy owned a boom box and played it obnoxiously loud in the crowded Wrigley locker room. Who destroyed Sosa's boom box is a mystery to this day.  It's no grassy knoll, but it's still fun to think about.

 Villanueva is now buried behind that Kris Bryant guy on the organizational depth chart.  I always enjoyed watching Jay Bell play shortstop.  He was a smooth operator.

Refractory Blackburn versus a guy who won 27 games in 1990 for the Athletics.  Why do I know these oddball statistics off the top of my head?

Jake Stinnett has the makings of a good number three pitcher.  Ramon is Pedro's older brother.

Zagunis hasn't played one inning at catcher this year, but he is tearing it up at Myrtle Beach with 0.434 OBP.  When I think of defensive catchers Benito is at the top of the list with Pudge Rodriguez and Johnny Bench. 
For the record, all the matches have been pretty easy for me to pick a winner until the one above. 


Another lefty prospect pitted against a guy who deserves to be in The Hall.  Rock.  Great nickname!

Karros played really well for the Cubs in 2003. But . . .   Kyle. Freaking. Schwarber.  (Oh, and Jake Stinnett.)

Green on green is not a great combo for '75 Topps.  Kirby Puckett played for Bradley University in P-town!

Definitely a better looking '75, and John Jaha says, "Haha!"

A mustache-less Mike Greenwell.  WTF?  Dylan Cease is back from TJ Surgey and reportedly hit 98 on the gun.

A Bowman paper Justin Steele versus the all-or-nothing swing of Mickey Tettleton.  Nice match-up for this Cub fan. 

One of these cards goes into the trade box under "2 by 3 Heroes" and the other fills a vacant slot in the first page of one of my Cubs binders. 

 Ahhh!  An all Cub match-up!  One day I learned the Cubs signed Guzman as a free agent, then I realized it wasn't Juan Guzman and I was NOT happy.

I got bipped!  Is Duda that good?  I've been ignoring the Mets for a couple of years now.

Holy Cow!  A Mike Olt minor league All-Star card versus a Barry Larkin?  Man.  I may be the only who favors the non HOF player in this match-up.  But, hey.  It's my blog!

Bipped again!  By none other than Eric the Red Tiger?   Love me some Starlin!

Vogelmonster versus the rest of the second O-Pee-Chee pack which includes a checklist a near Hall-of-Famer in Trammell and two recently inducted Hall-of-Famers!  Wow.  I talk a lot about the Vogelmonster on this blog, but I think he may have bit off more than he can chew!

That's the end, folks!  There were twenty-four match-ups in all and here's what I have for a final score:
Zippy Zappy Star Wars = 13
1994 O-Pee-Chee = 11

Another win for the re-pack master, Zippy Zappy!

I was actually fairly pleased withe O-Pee-Chee cards.  I had some really good players and some nice photographs, like the Benito Santiago.

If you're curious how I voted, here's the winners for each round:
1. Pudge
2. Harvey
3. Sprague
4. Rader (ZZ)
5. Soto (ZZ)
6. Vintage (ZZ)
7. Murray
8. Steele (ZZ)
9. Bell
10. Welch
11. Stinnett (ZZ)
12. Benito
13. Rock Raines
14. SCHWARBER (ZZ)
15. Puckett
16. John Jaha says Haha!
17. Cease (ZZ)
18. Steele (ZZ)
19. Sticker (ZZ)
20. Cubs Celebration (ZZ)
21. Rizzo (ZZ)
22. Olt (ZZ) beats Larkin; sorry Nahos Grande!
23. Castro (ZZ)
24. Trammell, Biggio, and the Big Hurt

Thanks for the great re-pack, Zippy Zappy!  I have a couple of more Zippy Zappy themed pack wars planned.  Hold tight!

2 comments:

  1. In adding that Carr to my watch list on ebay (it's how I keep track of cards for my baker's dozen commons, and justcommons orders), I found out that Carr has two other bunting cards I don't have. Yeah for Zippy Zappings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man that was quite a marathon. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete