Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Hope We Don't See the Brooms

Last Friday I received an e-mail from the Cubs stating I had won a ten minute time slot on Saturday morning for the chance to purchase four tickets to the upcoming NLCS. I logged on and looked at seats for Game #4. I picked the cheapest, which is still more than I've ever paid to see a baseball game, and now I'm left hoping for the best.

Yes, the Dodgers have a 3-0 lead in the series. Deservedly so. The Cubs have not played good baseball. Still, I'm hoping for just one win tonight. My wife, my sister, a terrific friend, and myself have all rearranged our schedules to make this trip to Wrigley possible. It sure would be nice to sing "Go Cubs, Go" at the top of our lungs later this evening.

I'm actually okay if with the idea of the Dodgers advancing. The Cubs won it all last year, which is something I was starting to doubt that I would ever see. I wanted one World Series Championship, and I got one. I'm pretty happy.

But, one more win tonight would be great. And who knows what one win could lead to?  Baseball, after all, is a crazy game.

Oh, and before I hop into a car to drive north for three hours I'd like to give a shout out to Matt from Bob Walk The Plank. He graciously dropped some knowledge on me when I tried to ship beer for the first time and then he sent a wonderful surprise the other day.
 Matt, my mailbox always has room for cards you need to get off your desk.
Especially if it's a card of The VOGELMONSTER!  BOOM!

Autographed acetate... how sweet is that?  Thanks, Matt!  (FWIW, I sent a few cards your way Monday evening. Heads up!)

Thanks for reading and Go Cubs!

10 comments:

  1. What is that signature? I also hope we don't see a sweep, but I never expected the Cubs to pull out a series win this time around. I think we may be witnessing the blossoming a great postseason rivalry, as the Cubs and Dodgers don't seem to be going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the exception of that weird 5 week stretch in August/September the Dodgers have been pretty much unstoppable. They just have sooooo much pitching depth. Hope you get to see a win.

    Did everything with the beer swap go ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a freaking awesome card. Good luck, and enjoy the game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on winning a slot!

    I made it to Game 2 of the NLDS here in Washington (the one where Harper and Zimmerman homered in the 8th, ugh). It is tough to say the Cubs deserved to move on from that series and harder to believe the bats are even more silent in this one.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the all the well-wishes... it was a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like all the Cubs needed to win was to have you in attendance.

    ReplyDelete