Saturday, March 16, 2013

Tick... Tick... Tick...

Yep, you guessed right.  Another PWE Bomb in the mailbox.  Actually, two came on the same day, but I'll show that one off tomorrow.  Heck, these have been coming so fast an furious I haven't even peeked inside the other one yet! 

It appears that Wes, of Jaybarkerfan's Junk, has been targeting others as well.  Nick, from Dime Boxes, just titled his last post, "Sending out an SOS."

Oh, good stuff!

Here's the contents of this unexpected delivery.  First up, three 1999 Fleer Tradition cards from the Update set.  I remember Micah Bowie, but I don't recall Richard Barker.  Apparently, Barker only lasted five games in The Show.  I was a closet Roosevelt Brown fan, but his career never really took off like I had hoped.

 A smilin' card of Mel Hall.  I've mentioned previously how I like '84 Donruss and this is a nice representation of the set.

Al Nipper.   Yeah, no witty comments on this one.  Al Nipper.  Moving on.

Another card of the Red Baron!  This one is new to my collection and will be adored.  I've already decided that if I ever get a chance to ask for Sutcliffe's signature that I'll have this beauty in tow.

 Brooks Kieschnick.  He was a highly touted former first rounder that I had pegged as a can't miss prospect.  I mean, how could he?  He was drafted as a hitter, but if that didn't pan out then he would just take to the mound.  What a bummer that experiment turned out to be.  I still have about seven different rookie cards of Brooks.  Make that eight now!

Man, these PWE Bomb's have been loaded with All-Stars and Hall-of-Famers as of late.  I don't usually think of Rogers Hornsby of a Cub, but he did win a MVP award with the club back in 1928.  I won't mention the other team that I do associate Hornsby with, mostly because I'm in a good mood and I don't want to ruin it.
I love the color photo and the socks.  Sitting in the dugout, there even appears to be a reporter in the dugout behind Rajah.  Rogers finished out his career as a player/manager, but was more manager than player after the 1928 season.   What a gig.  Can you imagine, as a manager, looking down the bench for a right-handed pinch hitter only to decide that your best option was yourself?  How awesome would that have been?  Lucky guy!

Thanks again, Wes!


1 comment: