Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Kaboom!

I've been hit by a PWE bomb again! 

Wes, from Jaybarkerfan's Junk, must have an unlimited supply of Cubs cards.

Behold who I found in the mailbox this time!

Michael Brenly, the son of former Cubs announcer Bob Benly:

Shawon Dunston, Sr. - Yep, Jr. is currently a member of the Cubs minor league system.  Senior was a favorite of mine because of his rocket-like arm at shortstop.  Thank goodness for Mark Grace at first base!

Speaking of smooth gloves at first base, Derrek Lee.  Derrek helped eliminate the '03 Cubs from the playoffs as a member of the Marlins.  I was pretty happy our pitching staff wouldn't have to face him any longer when Jim Hendry signed D-Lee the following off season.

How about Something a little unique?   At first I thought this was a Sportflics card of Rey Sanchez.  Yet, Sportflics was no longer making cards when Rey was a player.  Besides, it doesn't have the multiple image property, although the feel to the card is very similar.  I think it says "HD" on the back and the front, but it's awfully hard to read, which would be ironic if it is in fact "HD".  Regardless, this card is new to me, and I'm happy to add it to my collection.  Pretty neat photo, too, if I do say so myself.

Thanks for the PWE Bomb, Wes!


3 comments:

  1. The Sanchez card is from 1995 Topps DIII (3rd dimension, I guess); a 59 card set with 6 separate inserts. If you want a Cubs team set, you'll need to hunt down number 35, Mark Grace. I think it was the only set I liked in the cardboard wasteland that was the post-strike 1995 year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, what you're telling me is that Rey Sanchez was featured in a 59 card set, with only one other Cub? Crazy. Rey was nothing more than a utility infielder with the club back in '94.
      Thanks for the knowledge!

      Delete