Friday, August 7, 2020

The Cards Before The Storm

I realize the old saying is, "The calm before the storm," but this is a blog about cats baseball and cardboard with uniformed men playing the game they love.

So, yeah, you get the title above. 

The storm? Well, that would be the upcoming school year. I'm just going to leave it at that. We all have outr own takes on Covid-19, masks, social distancing, quarantining, politics, and the pandemic in general. I'm not here to get into that. If you would, just wish me luck when we start up on August 13th.  
The package Hugo chose to use as his napping grounds contains the cards in this post. Needless to say, I didn't rip into this yellow mailer sent from Dimebox Nick right away. I'm sure you've heard of this old saying as well, "Let sleeping dogs cats lie."

Nick, who is one of my favorite bloggers, always sends great trade packages. 
Shame on me for thinking he would only send the Big League cards. Not sure where my head has been lately.

The Defensive Wizards Javy Baez card is otherworldly, but I think a photo of him applying one of his famous tags would have been so much cooler.

Insert help. That deserves a big Woo-Hoo!

This is my favorite Big League card from the trade package. A catcher in full gear adjusting his shin guards. What a unique photo.

Alright, we're going picture heavy here on the rest of the package. Remember, Nick wrote that he hoped at least a handful would be useful. Ha! There was only three duplicates out of three jam-packed team bags, and one of them was a Vogelmonster. (So, let's just say there were only two cards that'll go in the duplicate stack.) Quite impressive!

I actually have a saved Ebay search for the 1999 Old Style Cubs set. I will take singles any day of the week!

Bruce Sutter!  The photos are quire similar even if the uniforms are different. 

Fergie! The Sport King Gum is a winner for sure!

Randy Hundley deserves more cardboard. I would love for him to be included in Topps' Archives Signature Series. That product is always full of good, but not great, names from the past. 

I think every Ken Holtzman card in my collection has him making the face on the right. So glad to get a smiling Holtzman finally!
Here's the back of the playing card if you were curious.

Vintage Santo! You know you love to see it!

Here's some other great Cubs names from yesteryear. 
Bill Buckner on a Topps rub-off!  So much facial hair!

Ah, 1985 Topps designs. Now I have the regular edition, the O-Pee-Chee and the Tiffany.
Here's proof it's Topps Tiffany. I really enjoyed the bright colors Tiffany and the boxed Topps Traded sets used on the card backs. 

Ryno! This one gets me one closer to 1,000 unique Rynos. I'm now just ten away. 

The Hawk! 

This Shawon Dunston (and Junior) card was just added to my Folder of Fun.

Shooter in a Cubs uniform. Yes!

Shooter in a minor league Giants uniform? Weird, but a winner! For the record, I do have a Rod Beck Player collection.

Nomar and Dontrelle... they were exciting players in their primes (not with the Cubs so much).

Kid K! I'm debating if I should shoot for 1,000 Kerry Wood cards. I'm thinking no, but the cost of his singles aren't prohibitive if I change my mind.

This is my third D-Lee hit in less that three weeks time. I can't argue with that!

I think this is my first Nicholas Castellanos card in a Cubs uniform. Definitely a keeper for my collection.
Wasn't this an online only release? Nick treats me so good.

Here's a couple more cards for my Wrigley Field Folder. I have three pages of Wrigley cards in the folder so far and somehow Nick managed to send ones I don't already have copies of. 

I've heard a couple of bloggers mention how this could be their favorite insert set of the year. I'll admit, Spring has Sprung is pretty good. 

Caratini has become an integral part of the Cubs roster in 2020. 

Schwarber!  Yes!

KB!

Lots of Rizzo!

The Kellogg's card of Billy Williams is a sweet looking lenticular card. 

Ernie and more Kellogg's!
You can never have too much Mr. Cub!

Nick, I'm not sure where you find some much great Cubs cardboard, but this package was truly a treat!  I'll start making a new pile to send your way, because I certainly owe you after receiving this haul! Thank so much!

15 comments:

  1. That's a helluva package! No wonder Hugo was trying to keep it for himself. Good luck with school! Will definitely be hoping that everything goes smoothly for you & your colleagues and students. Those Wrigley Field cards are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Fergie cards would look nice in my Canadians binder.. lol *must hunt them down now*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to know.. What year are those??

      Delete
    2. 1999 Old Style and 2018 Sage Sport Kings . . . Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Blown away by so many fantastic Cubbies! Holy smokes! The Star Beck? I would never have guessed it to be him. I do have a fun idea - opportunity missed. Facial hair scratch offs! Take a nickel to those brows and 'staches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the most unique baseball card idea I've ever heard. LOL

      Delete
  4. Man, that was a blast from the past. Definitely nice bunch of awesomeness. I wish O-Pee-Chee had a less bold logo on the front of their cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was quite the bubble mailer. I can't even begin to pick favorites out of all those cards. Good luck with the upcoming year; I'll be following five days behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have an enjoyable and most importantly a "safe" 2020/2021 school year. Are you guys doing distance learning, a hybrid, or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going full-day, five days a week, with lunch and everything. The only change is we're switching to a block schedule so we only see half the students every other day. Should be interesting.

      Delete
    2. Good luck bud. Hope things go safe and smoothly for you, your colleagues, and your students.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy Nick's blog as well and that's a heckuva trade package! I love that Mitch Garver. He has so many great cards. He reminds me of Kirt Manwaring from the 90's. He had some awesome cards too. That '94 Fleer Ryno is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of cardboard goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you enjoyed everything & thanks again for helping with my Big League needs! Seeing that Cubs rookie of Dontrelle Willis always makes me a bit sad. I would've loved to watch him play as a Cub.

    Best of luck with the new school year. I think it's awful that schools are opening back up at all, but here's hoping you're able to stay safe and socially-distant regardless.

    ReplyDelete