Monday, August 3, 2020

Approaching 1K Rynos

Today I'd like to show off a nice little PWE exchange I had with Mike, who is the proprietor of A Life Shaped By Baseball.

I sent off some cards for his player collections and in return he sent me a hand written note on notebook paper. Very thoughtful! Mike and I are both high school baseball coaches who missed out on coaching our student athletes this past spring. Hopefully, things will shape up and our players will have an opportunity to play the game they love this spring.

In the meantime, there's always baseball cards!
 I don't remember London Bradley, but I'll take any Peoria Chiefs card I can get my hands on.
 It appears Bradley helps his high school team win the Illinois state baseball championship during his senior year. Very cool.

Next up, a new card for the Brooks Kieschnick collection.
I already had the base card and the silver foil signature. I didn't even know there was a gold foil signature parallel to chase. Most excellent. For those of you counting at home, this is the 104th different Kieschnick card, and Mike is the 23rd different blogger to contribute to this collection

A picture of this card doesn't do it justice.
This is from the 1997 Fleer Ultra "Leather Shop" insert set and the card actually has texture to the surface which resembles leather. Fantastic! This card is the 989th unique Ryne Sandberg card in my collection. Ever so slowly I'm getting closer to that round magical number!

Thanks again for the swap, Mike!

6 comments:

  1. Ultra had some great insert sets, that leather set was one of the few to omit mike piazza in 97, so I never bothered to acquire any of the others. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy that the envelope came through so quickly, particularly given the assault under which the USPS has unfortunately found itself. Also happy that you liked the cards.

    I had never heard of London (Byron) Bradley outside of having that card for a long time. Despite holding the Indiana University record with four homers in a game, Bradley only hit two in 393 professional PA and his career was over five games into his age-23 season. Low SLG plus porous defense at 3B seems to have outweighed decent bat-to-ball skills. He has apparently done very well in the insurance industry and has an MBA, so all was not lost after his baseball career ended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Ultra Leather Shop insert is awesome! I wrote a post on embossed cards a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised at how many faux leather sets were produced in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent, what an accomplishment that will be.

    ReplyDelete