Sunday, May 5, 2013

LCS pickups: Glorius Vintage and a Pair that Shine

When I stopped by my local card shop the other day I found something new in the vintage case.  The owner said the 5 3/8 inch by 3 3/8 inch card was manufactured by the Exhibit Card Company over fifty years ago, and said that it books for much higher than the $4.99 on the sticker.  I'm not a big fan of book prices, but I do like things under five dollars, especially when the item in question is of Ernie Banks!

Sure, my Mr. Cub is a little soft around the corners and there are four creases on the surface that stand out, but this card is beautiful!  What some may see as flaws I see as gorgeous vintage! 

I did a quick search on eBay to see if I could learn anything else about the card.  Apparently there were multiple sets back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's produced by Exhibit, and the card I possess is the tougher of the three Ernie Banks cards to find.

Oh, and surprise-surprise... one was graded and up for auction.


Yikes! That's a steep asking price!

My Ernie's condition would probably rate as VG (very good) at best, yet I'm very proud to add him to my humble little collection.

For those of you who get bored of vintage* here's the pair that shine:
 
 Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo from the '12-'13 Panini Prizm set.

I do love shiny cards, but I'd take the aged creases on my Ernie card everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

* Seriously though, who gets bored with vintage?

3 comments:

  1. Nice pickup. The Exhibit cards came from some sort of vending machines and, I believe were marketed as a kind of postcard, hence the blank back. I learned this from the now defunct blog Sports Cards Ate My Brain. I have a few of these, and really dig them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pickup. I only have one original, though from the later 1963 set, a Ron Santo. The 1962 and 63 sets have stats on the back. http://canthavetoomanycards.blogspot.com/2010/10/santo-saturdays.html
    I also picked up 8 of the 1980 reprints, including another of the Banks variations for about 50 cents each. http://canthavetoomanycards.blogspot.com/2011/01/1980-exhibit-supply-cards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice find! Those Exhibits cards are awesome, I have a Yogi Berra one in my collection.

    ReplyDelete