Saturday, September 26, 2020

Playing Catchup after a Covid Softball Season

 I've fallen a bit behind in posting trade packages, which is typically the case when school starts back up, but this year, obviously, has been a bit different. 

So, why not kick things off with a PWE from everybody's favorite Zippy Zappy? In my mind's eye, this is very appropriate as Kenny has been concluding his posts with the following reminder: 

Please remember to wash your hands, wear a mask when outside your house, maintain a safe distance from others in public, stay informed with the latest COVID-19 updates provided by the CDC and other appropriate authorities.

Yep, we did a lot of that during my eight week junior high softball season this year. I could go on and on about the differences this year, but here's the biggest ones:

  • player and coach temperature checks before each practice/game
  • sanitizing the balls
  • not being able to use the dugouts due to social distancing guidelines
  • coaches wearing masks at all times
  • waving to the other team from the opposite side of the field after the game
  • not being able to play more than two games a week (3 if a DH was scheduled)
  • no Sectional or State Championship series
Honestly, I'm just glad we were able to play and play without logging a positive case. We lost a handful of players during the course of the season who were "exposed" to students who had contracted the disease, but aside from the random quarantines, Covid never really hit us. I'm so very thankful!

Also, a big thank you to all of those who sent positive vibes my way!

Alright, enough chatter about the reason 2020 will go down in infamy. Let's look at some cards!

It's looks like Kenny was able to track down some Topps Chrome. I know where most of the retail Chrome in my area wound up and I'm not happy about it. Perhaps I'll save that as fodder for another post. 

Nico Hoerner, the Cubs former 2018 #1 pick, played five different positions this year and registered an OPS below 0.600. Yeesh.

Jorge Soler, to me, is the one that got away. I never could figure out why the Cubs signed Jason Heyward to that monster deal when they already had a young, controllable stud on the roster. 

When healthy, Soler is a beast who can hit bombs in bunches like he did in 2019. When hampered by injuries, which is often, he's a below replacement level player. Heyward, to his credit, has continued to work hard on his offensive game while playing sterling defense in RF. He also gets bonus points for being a plus-plus teammate.  

The above pink parallel will find its way into a binder with the rest of my Soler cards. 

Here. We. Go. 

This is a 2007 Calbee Title Holder insert, from Japan. of Kosuke Fukudome. This card has the shininess factor of Topps Chrome and a cool holo-design in the background. Most spectacular! For those counting at home, this is the 190th unique Fukudome in my collection and quite possibly the first Fukudome I've added in over a year!

Kenny, thanks for the PWE. I believe that's two you've sent me now without me reaching for a postage stamp. No worries, you're on my list and I will return in kind. 

Stay safe and thanks for reading. 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to have a season of some sort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Fukudome is excellent! I'd say about 98 percent of the Japanese cards I currently own came via a Zippy Zapping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you underwent a (all things considered) complete softball season that wasn't affected too badly by the plague. Also glad you enjoyed the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice PWE. I'm really glad to know that you were able to get in some games even under the circumstances!

    ReplyDelete