Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Folder of Fun: Page 10

The Folder of Fun, as I like to call it, has been in the works for about three years. That's about the time I stopped buying retail and hobby packs and began tracking down cards which fit a certain general description: FUN.  Here's a link to the first post in this series if you'd like to go back and catch up. 

Page 10 seems like as good a place as any to discuss the big news in the baseball world today, which is the official cancelling of the Minor League Baseball season. 
The writing was on the wall, and has been for a couple of months, but that doesn't make it sting any less. Last summer was my first working with a minor league baseball team and I was very much looking forward to year number two. 

As much as I enjoyed getting paid to go to a professional ballpark, I think I still enjoy being a paying fan more. There's just something about sitting in the stands, relaxing, and taking in all the sights and sounds.

All of the aforementioned brings us to Page 10 of the Folder of Fun.

These eight cards are from the 2013 Panini Triple Play set. It's not a great set by anyone's standards, but the price point and overall concept were both kid friendly, which I think we could use more of in this hobby of ours.

No commentary here. I'll let the cards speak for themselves.

















My Folder of Fun is my way of documenting my favorite game and what makes it so great in my eyes. I think these cards do a fine job when viewed threw this lens.

The next few pages are within the same mold: sights, sounds, smells and traditions. Hopefully we'll all be able to experience them first hand at local ballpark in 2021!

6 comments:

  1. Very sad about the minors. Hope you’ll be back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not usually a fan of 2013 Triple Play... but these aren't that bad. I like how they document components of the sport we all love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember reading that the Chiefs are one of the teams that are going to have their affiliate agreement expire in September, I don't think they were named as one of the teams to be part of the chopping block for the teams MiLB is looking to get rid of but hopefully they can navigate through everything and see a 2021 season. Unfortunately the same probably can't be said for Staten Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually an short story in our local newspaper this morning about the Chiefs and 2021. We'll have to see what happens!
      https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20200630/rsquochiefs-will-be-backrsquo-expiring-cards-affiliation-plus-revenue-loss-from-2020-shutdown-among-to-do-list

      Delete
  4. It's getting harder and harder to be a fan of major league baseball when they're screwing the minors as much as they are (and for no good reason).

    And I don't care what anyone says -- I liked these weird Triple Play cards, and still do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must know I own card 4 - hot doggggggggggg! I'm fairly certain that's not Taft on card 5 because, well, he ate a lot of hot dogs! As far as "traditions" go, I personally despise the 'wave'. For no reason other than 'because I can.' <8^D

    ReplyDelete