Monday, June 1, 2020

Introducing the Folder of Fun: Peanuts (Page 1)

It's a new month so let's try something new.  Something positive.

When I need an escape from the on-goings of the real world, which seems pretty frequent as of late, I head on down to the man room and pull out a binder. Flipping the pages quickly takes me away from reality as my thoughts begin to circle around card designs, players, the photo selection and sometimes how the card was acquired. Each card tells a story . . . you just have to look closer at some than others.

I realize not every collector is a binder person, but I am and have been since I began collecting in 1988. Outside of the "hunt" for a certain card, adding to a player collection binder or finishing a set so that I can finally "double bag" the cards in pages is my favorite thing about collecting. I enjoy binders so much earlier this year I built an end table with the sole purpose of giving me more space to add more binders down the road.

The Folder of Fun, as I like to call it, has been in the works for about three years. That's about the time I stopped buying retail and hobby packs and began tracking down cards which fit a certain general description: FUN.

If an acquaintance asked me why I collect cards I suppose I would retrieve this particular binder and ask them to flip through the pages. With any luck I wouldn't have to say a word and their question would be answered. 
The Folder of Fun
My Folder of Fun is a work in progress and it's my second favorite project right behind my Vogelmonster collection.

The first section of the Folder of Fun has to deal with movies and television.
I'm a collector who prides himself on organization, thus the tabs!

Here's page one:
I picked up this 9-card set from Dave & Adam's a few years back for five bucks. In fact, once I committed to this project these were the first cards I added. As a result they lay claim to the first page in the binder.

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #1 - Snoopy
Snoopy is my favorite character from Peanuts. Most dogs are incredibly quick, so he probably makes a perfect shortstop. Check out those stats!

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #2 - Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown is good kid who can never catch a break. PB&J is a solid sandwich choice.

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #3 - Lucy
Lucy is my least favorite character in this cartoon. She's particularly mean to Charlie Brown, she's always hitting on Shroeder, she's quite bossy, and apparently she can't catch a fly ball. 

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #4 - Linus
Tuna salad is an underrated sandwich in my book. Observation: Linus is without his blanket. 

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #5 - Sally
Sally, the little sister of Charlie Brown, favors a cream cheese and jelly sandwich? I've eaten many a sandwich in my day, but I've never optioned for that specific combination.

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #6 - Woodstock
Woodstock is the MAN. I enjoy any comic strip he makes an appearance in way too much.

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #7 - Schroeder
Shroeder, an excellent pianist, is the catcher. This bothers me a bit because catcher's fingers are at great risk for injury during a baseball game.

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #8 - Peppermint Patty
Peppermint Patty always wears sandals, even on the baseball field. SMH.

1991 Ziploc Peanuts, #9 - Franklin
I'm a fan of Franklin's pants: green with black pinstripes. Some of the other characters are wearing shorts, but Franklin looks ready to play some ball. Also, grilled cheese is a solid sandwich choice, but not one I would seal up in a Ziploc bag and bring to work for lunch.

There you have it, page 1. I don't think I'll photograph the backs of all the cards in the folder, but I couldn't resist these. Good stuff all the way around.

What's you favorite card of the nine?

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more Folder of Fun content.

15 comments:

  1. I've never seen those Peanuts cards before but they are tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snoopy, he eats like I do. Now I want a Sub! Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sallys card is in 1973 topps dick green territory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snoopy and Linus were always my favorite Peanuts characters.

    I had no idea these cards existed. If I ever get back around to collecting seriously, I may have to pick up a set.

    JT, The Writer's Journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peppermint Patty was the best player on the field, so if she wants to wear sandals she gets to wear sandals.

    My dad ate cream cheese-and-jelly sandwiches. I thought it was weird. But he grew up during the Depression, and there were a lot of odd food combos going on then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also had never seen these cards before. I definitely would have collected them if I'd known about them. As a kid, I never missed any Peanuts specials--even the reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun cards! Woodstock's favorite sandwich being bread crusts cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those a very cool. I have a similar Peanuts card from the 70s, Hostess I think.

    My favorite is Charlie Brown. So much determination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat cards! The other night we watched the newer Peanuts movie. I thought it was really good! They did a good job of balancing new animation while keeping the old school Snoopy vibe. I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are great! I love the favorite sandwich part, even though my personal favorite (Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff). I also never knew Peppermint Patty's last name!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect set to begin the 'fun' binder! Makes me want a set! Thanks for a much needed smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now. Now... that is fun. This is awesome. That made my day. Thank you Tom. Great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linus has always been my favorite Peanuts character... but my favorite card has to be either Snoopy or Schroeder. By the way, I love the tabs. That's something I could see myself doing. I'm kinda crazy when it comes to organization.

    P.S. Received your flat rate mailer today. My goal is to open it up this Friday... although that's the same day as the end of the grading period and I told my students they could turn in late work until 6pm on Friday... so I might be a little busy that evening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't seen these either! Gotta git me some. I was nuts for Peanuts as a kid. Have all kinds of Snoopy stuff. Used to trace the comics out of my hardcover books and make my own stories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a Little League catcher, I have to go with Schroeder.

    ReplyDelete