Monday, November 18, 2019

Pack Wars: ZZ Re-Pack vs. Topps Update

A little over a month ago Zippy Zappy sent me a personalized Gregg Olson  8"x10" inscribed photo and within the same package was one of his legendary re-packs.

I haven't been buying any modern day product for the last fourteen months or so as I have been focusing more on building Topps sets from the late 70s and early 80s. Unfortunately, that meant I didn't have any loose packs on hand.

I took a trip to my local card shop and was trying to decide on what to buy for this edition of Pack Wars, but the selection was a little too overwhelming.
Ultimately, I picked something everyone has probably already seen, but at least it should be a fair match-up . . . 14 cards in each pack.  FYI, using Google's currency converter, 108 Yen is roughly one US dollar.

Upon first opening the re-pack this Mitch Trubisky card, in a top loader, fell out.
I like Mitch Trubisky the person. He works hard, has a much better sideline demeanor than Jay Cutler, and seems to be well liked by his teammates. I am not a fan of Mitch Trubisky the quarterback. His 2019 on field performance has been very bad. Yeesh. 

Here are the four stickers mentioned on the sticky note from the re-pack wrapper.
Akiem Hicks is one of my favorite Bears. For some reason I always value the defensive players more than the offensive guys.

Inside the original wrapping there was a second wrapper. The mystery of the Zippy Zappy packs continues to grow!
Buckle up folks. It's time for another round of PACK WARS! 

Round 1
 Ryan Harvey was the Cubs #1 draft pick in 2003 and he was very one dimensional. I remember him playing in Peoria and he was an average right-fielder with a TON of power and way too much swing-and-miss in his swing.
Have you seen Ryan Harvey lately? The man can hit a softball over 500 feet. That is plain silliness.
I like the high socks on Freddy Galvis, but the man needs a haircut. 
Zippy Zappy is on the board.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 1
2019 Topps Update = 0

Round 2
 Dioner Navarro had his best professional season with the Cubs in 2013. He played on a last place team that year, but a switch-hitting catcher with a 0.850+ OPS tends to grow on you. This Fleer Ultra card appears to be a parallel of some sort.
Alex Jackson is a rookie I have never heard of. Topps loves its rookies as do many others.  I could care less.  Dioner for the win!

Somewhat related side note: Vladimir Guerrero, Jr., a hyped up rookie, was taken in the 3rd round of my fantasy baseball draft last spring. I took Josh Donaldson in the twelfth, and I'd do it again if given the chance. You can have your rookies and I'll take my undervalued veterans.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 2
2019 Topps Update = 0

Round 3
Touch match-up here! Here's a Zorilla card before his Cubs days and a Trevor Cahill card after his Cubs days. I like them both, but Zo is a local guy so he wins by default. 

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 3
2019 Topps Update = 0

Round 4
A sliding Zobrist on one of my least favorite Topps designs versus another rookie on one of my favorite designs. What a conundrum! Again, local guy for the win!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 4
2019 Topps Update = 0

Round 5
Kerry Wood as a Yankee? Yep, that happened.
Another rookie? And this one appears to share a first name with my favorite Cub of all-time.
I'll Take Kid-K here.

Side note: I thought so little of this Ryne Harper card it has already been sent out in a PWE. 

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 5
2019 Topps Update = 0

Round 6
Baseball's Sad Lexicon and my first card with Tinker, Evers and Chance all on the same card. Zippy Zappy would probably take the Tanaka in this match-up, but that's the beauty of Pack Wars! To each their own. The ZZ re-pack stays undefeated!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 6
2019 Topps Update = 0

Round 7
Steve Cishek has been a pretty effective pitcher the last couple of years for the Cubs. This black, low numbered parallel, is from his Marlins days.  Ohtani and Trout on the same card? That's pretty cool. Topps Update is finally on the board!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 6
2019 Topps Update = 1

Round 8
 I actually had never heard of Sherry Magie, but I love Tri-Star Obak and have the master set from 2009.
The 1984 inserts are sharp looking, but why is the 35th anniversary of a set such a big deal? The Nelson Cruz is on it's way to Minnesota with the Ryne Harper card.
FWIW, that's another win for ZZ. 

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 7
2019 Topps Update = 1

Round 9
A bat relic promotional card of Tsuyoshi Nishioka versus my favorite Cleveland Indian. Tough call, but as cool as the promo card is, I have to go with the guy who has one of the best smiles in all of baseball.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 7
2019 Topps Update = 2

Round 10
 Another rookie? Ugh.
More 2010 Obak fun!  Woo-Hoo!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 8
2019 Topps Update = 2

Round 11
Ahhhh!  More rookies!  I'll spill the beans now... ZZ, this Ford and the Tanaka are already on their way to you.
Sammy looks to have belted a homer, and he also gives the ZZ re-pack another point.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 9
2019 Topps Update = 2

Round 12
Wait, Nick Hundley isn't a rookie? Besides the All-Star cards and rookies, Update has cards of regular guys in it?  Crazy.
A die-cut of Kris Bryant? Huh, that's a pretty high quality card and it will definitely find its way into my Bryant binder. Very nice.

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 10
2019 Topps Update = 2

Round 13
Ahhhh! Too much awesomeness in one match-up! How do pairings like this happen without breaking the universe?
This was the closest contest within this Pack Wars, but a slight edge goes to the ZZ re-pack, because that's my first Khalil Mack card. So, very cool!

Updated Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 11
2019 Topps Update = 2

Round 14
Ha! A rookie versus and All-Star. You're probably thinking I'll go with Springer here, because he's not a rookie. See, the thing is I really overvalue Cubs rookies.
And, every good re-pack builder knows you have to play to your judge. Well done, ZZ. Well done.

Final Score:
Zippy Zappy Pack = 12
2019 Topps Update = 2

So, that brings us to the conclusion of another Pack Wars. Zippy Zappy, thank you for the re-pack. I always enjoy crafting these posts as it gives me an opportunity to write without a filter.

Thanks for joining me for another edition of Pack Wars. Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I must have missed your post about the Olson auto, that is very cool. And the Obak cards are neat. Sherry Magee was a borderline HOFer. I remember hearing about how rare his tobacco card was (back when I first started collecting) but didn't know much about his playing days until I started my All-Time Teams project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The #Tanak and Mike "Built Tough" Ford are mine? Sweet!

    And woof, looking at this repack in hindsight kinda showed me that I rely a bit too heavily on your tastes for points. Maybe it's about time I tried a vintage 2014-Zippy Zappy approach...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some 2009 Obak. What a great set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. 4 career games and has 0 hits to go along with 5 strikeouts. Ouch.

      Delete