Sunday, January 6, 2013

Chasing the 1/1

One of my collecting goals for 2013 is to add my first 1-of-1 card to my collection.

So, I decided to take a look on eBay the other day and look what I found!


Yep, a 2012 Bowman Sterling, 1/1, canary yellow, dual autograph card of the 2011 and 2012 Chicago Cubs first round draft picks: Javier Baez and Albert Almora! 

What a sweet looking card.  The only thing better would be if the autographs were on card, rather than on those obnoxious stickers.

The "buy it now" price of the card was a penny south of $900.  No, I was not seriously going to pursue this card, but I do like to watch such cards to see if they sell and at what price.  A guy can dream, right? A few days later, the seller took the auction down without completing a sale. Huh?

No matter.  Here's what I have instead:

I was able to get a Javier Baez auto this past summer.  He played for the Peoria Chiefs. (Now the Chiefs are a Cardinal affiliate. Yes, I'm still bitter.)

And here is my first eBay arrival of 2013.  A 2012 Leaf Albert Almora autograph.  I tried to take a picture with my camera, but the card is WAY too shiny.  I had to swipe the eBay listing picture.

So, Baez and Almora autographs.  Nice!  No, they're not on the same card, it's not a sparkly canary yellow card, and no, it's not a 1/1.  But, it cost me about 1/90th of the price.  That's a "win" in my book.

Luckily, Thorzul contacted me the other day about a Soriano 1/1 card that's in his possession.  I'm back on the Soriano bandwagon after his solid 2012 campaign and would love to add this printing plate to my collection.  Hopefully, I come up with some Brewers goodies to pull off a trade!

What a great hobby.



No comments:

Post a Comment