Friday, August 5, 2016

PWE from the Burbs

Another blogger must have used this title before, right?  It's just too easy not to.

Tony Burbs is the author of the Cub-centric blog title Wrigley Roster Jenga. AND . . . he just happens to live in the suburbs of Chicago. I mean, this blog post title is just too perfect!

Is there anything better than a package from a fellow team collector?  Nope. I don't think so. I think even the great Night Owl might agree.

Let's see what he sent.  Oooooh, I love me hand written note . . . in cursive no less!
Shoot.  Which one could he be talking about?

Well, I can tell you for certain it's not this one. I love this card. LOVE IT, but I already have it in my collection. I remember listening to Pat Hughes on the radio when Ramirez hit this walk-off jack against the White Sox in 2008. Pat Hughes does great radio.

Here's a half-dozen Cubs cards.
The only one I needed was the Sosa in the bottom middle. I'm fairly certain this was not the card Tony Burbs was certain I didn't have.

 No lie, I almost bought this Soler card yesterday at my LCS for three quarters, but I put it back because I thought it was overpriced. Not Anthony Rizzo overpriced, but still pretty high.
 For the record, I didn't have the Rozzo Archives card either.  Because, you know, of the P-town inflation factor. Ridiculous.

Matt Karchner for Jon Garland?  Really? 
How often do these "rental for prospect" deals work out for the buyer? If you consider winning the World Series the only way the rental side can win, then I figure it isn't often.  By the by, this one is new to me as well.

Fabulous Foil, Batman!
 I think Tony showed this card off on his blog and I made a comment about it.  Now I have the same card in my collection!  Awesome!  This very well could be the card Tony was hinting at.

I must say I do prefer the modern team cards to vintage, floating heads or not.

Dale Long? Honestly, I don't know if I have this card or not. My vintage collection, especially the 1950s is very hit and miss. I'll have to check on it and get back to y'all. (Can I say "y'all"? I did spend nine days in the South recently.)

Boom. I think I found it! Tony most certainly was certain I did not own this TTM inscribed auto of Tony Balsamo
 
Tony Burbs sent a TTM to Tony Balsamo earlier this spring and had great success!  Thanks for spotting me a Balsamo TTM!  What a sweet addition to my hit box!

Tony, my Cubs doubles are slowing building again.  I'll hit you up again sometime soon!  Thanks, the cards were most appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the cards! The Balsamo was definitely the one I was hinting towards, but it's good to know that there were several new ones in there for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. That Balsamo is the bees knees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all entered my vocabulary in recent years thanks to country music. Maybe I'm rubbing off on you?

    ReplyDelete