Sunday, August 28, 2016

It's All About Perspective

 It's all about perspective, it really is. How many of you have an over abundance of Miami Marlins cards and would gladly trade the whole lot of them for one card that fits in your collection?

That's me in a nutshell. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

Ryan, author of the Card Stacks Blog, reached out to me and we hammered out a quick trade.
 I didn't exactly send him Marlins cards, but as far as I'm concerned they might as well have been. Cards which don't have a place in my collection don't have much value to me.  Yep, I'm one of those collectors . . . the last price guide I bought was over twenty-five years ago and it was because there was a Cub on the front of it. I collect to collect, not to turn a buck.

I don't want to overpay when I go to a shop, a show, or buy on Ebay. So, I guess I have some knowledge about the pricing of cards, but it's not something I'm thinking about when I'm pulling cards for a package. 
Most of the time I just hope I hit on a few collections with the friendly blogger I'm trading with by accident. Just like how these two Jon Lester cards brought a huge smile to my face. I'm sure Ryan has no idea how few Lester cards I have in my collection.

Sometimes I'll go the extra mile and do a little research so there's something for the other blogger to get really excited about. The Ryno fits into my player collection, which is now up to 813 unique cards. That's worthy of some excitement for sure!
 To this point, the package has been all aces with me. I'm not so sure why Ryan needs to keep an eye out:
 I love the 2016 edition of the Chicago Cubs and all of the above cards filled a gap somewhere in my collection.  Man, especially the three Bryant's in the package. Here's the last two:
 Ryan, you're obviously not a Kris Bryant collector, nor do you live in Illinois. So you probably have have no idea what these three cards can go for at a show around here. There's no way I could trade a bubble mailer full of Atlanta Braves to my LCS owner for a 2015 Topps card of Miguel Montero . . . let alone three Bryants!

Dude. We. Are. Square.

On second thought, maybe I need to be on the look out for more Braves . . .

I guess it's all about perspective.   Thanks for the trade!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Tom- glad you enjoyed the cards! Looking forward to trading again!

    ReplyDelete