Friday, April 3, 2015

Warping the Minds of America's Youth

I stopped by the big red box store this morning and hit the card aisle on the way out.  There were two young boys there ogling all of the 2015 baseball releases trying to decided what to buy.  One of them noticed me and elbowed his buddy to make way. 
Yu hot pack!
 When I saw the opening I reached quickly for a 30 card value pack of Donruss, smiled, gave a little head nod the young gents, and made my way to the checkout aisle.

 As I was checking out I was feeling pretty good about myself.  I finally had the sinus medication I desperately needed, some marshmallow Peeps to give to my friends' kids, AND I had influenced some young card collectors.

Yep, I was listening in on the boys' conversation after I snagged my pack of Donruss and now they were trying to decide over a couple of loose packs or a value pack. And no, I'm not talking about Topps' flagship product, Heritage, or Opening Day.  They now wanted to purchase Donruss, too. 

What have I done?  I guess me and adult coolness are warping the minds of young card collectors to purchase non-licensed baseball cards that feature a really ugly base card. 

But, do I feel guilty about doing so?

Let's see: 
1) I added another Sandberg to my player collection. 
2) I accrued some nice trade package filler.
3) I found two inserts of Cubs players which would have cost me the price of pack by itself at my LCS.
Nope.  I regret nothing.

12 comments:

  1. Heck no. I think the only way to by Donruss is the retail jumbo pack. I did a quick price per card calculation and if you bought a box or even just a hobby pack your are paying aobut $0.35 a card. Buying the jumbo you get each card for about $0.0166. Plus you get an All time Diamond King card, which I think fall only one or two per hobby box, a Diamond King sp, a Rated Rookie, a Studio, A donruss Preferred, a The Rookies, and a couple other inserts, sometimes an Elite, or a Dominator, or a serial numbered parallel, ect, plus all those glorious base cards. I wasn't going to put this years set together, but now I just might have too. It also means I might have to go buy some 2014 Series 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why Donruss changed the color of the number on Sandberg's jersey? And the stripe on his pants too, for that matter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that as well. Just plain odd if you ask me. Maybe Panini wanted the blues for the Chicago Baseball Club to all be the same color?

      Delete
  3. Move the decimal place on that second figure up there. $.166 per card. Sorry, the math teacher in me couldn't let that one go.

    I agree, the number of inserts for the cost is too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked a big game about Donruss, but I *may* have done something similar....

      Delete
    2. opps yep my mistake, need more coffee

      Delete
  4. You're a teacher, isn't influencing the youth your job?

    And as long as you're not persuading naive youths to be Cubs fans, I don't think you should feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to influence as much as try to teach critical thinking and problem solving skills through the beauty of mathematics.

      If they want to follow me lead, then that's cool I guess . . . You know, if they want to be a math loving nerd who cares way too much about the Cubs and their minor leaguers. To each their own I suppose.

      Delete
  5. I bought a retail jumbo pack a few weeks back and you do get great value. Plus I've seen several yield autos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pulled a Prince Fielder auto - also a Conine 1/25. Not sure what I'll do with these just yet. Donruss is one product I feel usually gives value for $$ spent.

    ReplyDelete